1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Now that I have found out my grips are commercial ones, I'd like to replace them. Besides mine are warped beyond use once I replace the grip busings.
I'm even thinking about contacting Colt for some of the grips on the repo 1911a1's.

[This message has been edited by ScottsGT (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts
ScottsGT,

Unfortunately, the original grips are going to be very hard to find. What you need are the early Colt grips with small rings around the screw holes and a hollowed-out backside w/o reinforcing ribs (aka "hollow-back Colt grips"). They were only used from about the 725,000 to roughly 795,000 serial range. Most out there are either the Keyes grips used on contract guns, or the later Colt grips with large rings around the screw holes and reinforcing ribs on the backside.

If you are successful in getting a pair of repro grips from Colt let me know. I could use a few spare parts myself like U-notch sights. Another thing to do is ask over at the 1911 collector's forum (http://www.gunandknife.com) and see if any of the collectors over there have a spare set of grips they'd be willing to part with.

Another source might be SARCO. They have a lot of take-off grips, and if you can reach a live human there they might be able to physically look for a set.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts
Yes I know about the Coltrock grips, which were very brittle and cracked easily (thus their replacement with the Coltwood). Now, imagine trying to find a pair of those!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you are successful in getting a pair of repro grips from Colt let me know.
I called Colt last week to see if this would be possible. I'm trying to find a pair of brown plastic grips to give my Springfield Mil-Spec a more "GI" look. But the guy said they are not for sale.

However, Auto Ordnance sells their brown 1911 grips for only $7. Here's a pic (really big):
http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/976129528.jpg

I don't know how authentic they look (dsk should know), but they might be a good substitute.
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html

Click on "Parts" to see the grips and other parts. (For some reason, the grips on their site are not shown as brown. But as you can see from the above auction listing, they are.)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats with the Auto Ordinance's cocking serrations? That's not a GI copy! But you know, I've been looking for a good base gun for a custom, and I wanted the angled serrations. I might have to buy the whole gun and put different grips on it and use the AO's on my Colt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello. Interesting discussion. So pulled the grips on a 1943 US&S and found the reinforcing ribs. Each grip has a "K" inside a star, molded into the plastic. Left grip panel has a number "9", right panel number "10". Looks like the "small" screw hole ring. Does this sound ok? The grips look like new. Wish I could send a picture, but just don't have it figured out yet. Thanks for this site. cec

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Your grips are generally correct for your gun. The earliest US&S guns usually are found to have the early Keyes grips without the ring around the screw hole. Have seen some later US&S with the earlier grip, which probably indicates an overlap in their use. However, a very early US&S gun would most likely not have a later grip.
What serial range is your gun? Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay. I've found several sets of grips there.

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Whats with the Auto Ordinance's cocking serrations? That's not a GI copy!
Yeah, I know. It's not even close to a WWII-era 1911, which is what it claims to be. With the slanted serrations & boxy grip, it looks a lot more like a Springfield. But the grips look good, so I'll be ordering a set.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was actually curious as to where your gun fell within that range. That would indicate whether it should have the "P" proofs, and if so, where, and which grips most likely would be correct.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"P" proofs? Serial No. 1054XXX. This seems to be a reassebbled pistol. The slide is Colt and didn't realize the whole thing wasn't till finding this site. If I'm reading the charts right, one barrel is High Standard and the other is Singer. The magazine is Colt. Finish on frame is original and 90%+(holster wear around the muzzle). Wear on slide matches that of frame, parkerizing is just that side of identical. Always eager to learn something new. Have a good one! cec

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I think I remember a previous post about your gun. I may be mistaken. But, if not the barrel you described that wasn't the HS, was actually marked as being a Rem-UMC.
There is a difference, first, in a 1911 barrel as opposed to a 1911A1 barrel. The 1911A1 barrels have a distinct ridge on them where it steps down out of the chamber area into the bore that is not present on a 1911 barrel. Also, the placement of the P is deifferent on a Rem-UMC, as well as the finish and the machining, when compared to a Singer barrel.
Your 105xxxx US&S frame will not have the P proof by the mag release button. That started in the 106xxxx range.
And, the grips you have would be correct for the frame.
Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts