1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I failed as a parent. My youngest son who I got certified for scuba at age 11. Taught him how to shoot handguns and rifles. Bought him a sks for his 14th birthday and a mosin for his 16th and a ruger black hawk in 44mag for the 18th. Well today he bought a glock 19. Really a glock? I thought I taught him well.

Now I have to decide which son I am more proud of. The one who bought tupperware or the one who is in county jail for the 9th time. Glad my baby making days are over.

·
Administrator
73,814 Posts
Now I have to decide which son I am more proud of. The one who bought tupperware or the one who is in county jail for the 9th time.
Devote more time to the one in jail. At least he can (probably) redeem himself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What we can do as parents for the kids is give an example, keep an eye on people they hang out with, provide the best means we can to let them build their education and refrain from wanting them to be copycats mimicking us.

Then time goes by, we cannot keep pace with all the occurring changes and distinguishing evolution from degeneration is sometimes just a matter of opinions.

Glocks are ugly, lack history as well as mechanical charm and , as any guns, may be inaccurate and dangerous in hand not specifically trained. But they are cheaper and likely much more reliable than 1911s.

You may try to listen to what appeal they have to your son.

Then, unless one is sick or drug addict, nothing is irreparable 😉.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
You need to explain to the young man he has a legacy to uphold. We can't live like animals!

I resisted many years, but now have a Glock too. ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Relax, it's just a phase. He will grow out of it. You raised him with proper values and he will come back around. Probably just trying to fit in with the crowd.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your son sounds a little too old to be reading him John Moses Browning bedtime stories at this stage of his life. My sensors detect there will be resistance. Maybe throw in some subtle 1911 war stories to make his ears perk up and get a healthy dose of reality. Compare those 1911 heroics vs. a gun that came in a food storage container. For all we know, they might not even be microwave safe!

Ahh, who are we kidding? All of our 'help' isn't going to matter. It's a classic case of trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Well today he bought a glock 19. Really a glock? I thought I taught him well.
You still have time to redeem yourself with the final lesson... ammo! Tell him you don't load for or supply ammo for glocks. At today's prices, it will probably be gone in a week.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Tell him Butthead commends him for his practicality.

Like a Timex watch, it'll get him where he needs to be on time too.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
You know....... much like with a plunger or a flyswatter - disposable, plastic things you get at the dollar store - there's nothing wrong with keeping one of those other cheap, plastic things around. Now, more than one and an intervention may be required!

:):):)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts