1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Bitter Clinger / Liberty Keeper
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I participate in a few different gun forums, an RV forum or two (also a hobby of mine) and a knife forum.

On the gun forums, I notice a wide difference in rules (eg types of threads and posts permitted)

I’ve always wondered what drives the difference in rules? Is it the media company who owns the forum who sets the rules? Is it the media company's country of domicile which influences the rules? E.g.no guns for sale on this Canadian-owned forum, as just one example. Some forums permit political posts, some do not, etc.

What drives the difference? I’m just curious

No harm, no foul either way... it’s like any other business... your place, your rules

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
This same company owns other gun forums where selling of guns is fully allowed.

I'd say moderators play a large part, but I'm guessing.

Reactions: HODY905

·
Administrator
995 Posts
I participate in a few different gun forums, an RV forum or two (also a hobby of mine) and a knife forum.

On the gun forums, I notice a wide difference in rules (eg types of threads and posts permitted)

I’ve always wondered what drives the difference in rules? Is it the media company who owns the forum who sets the rules? Is it the media company's country of domicile which influences the rules? E.g.no guns for sale on this Canadian-owned forum, as just one example. Some forums permit political posts, some do not, etc.

What drives the difference? I’m just curious

No harm, no foul either way... it’s like any other business... your place, your rules
We have pretty standard rules of conduct across the board. This is not much different than 90% of all sites. The rules regarding the classifieds is primarily dictated by the moderator team with some influence from the community and the site's owners. We have had to make regular updates to classifieds access rules to keep up with scammers. They are getting smarter, more organized and willing to play a long game if it means they will separate you from your money. It is preferred that users who join the site are not here just to make a quick buck from the membership. Community engagement and contributions to conversation and comradery are rewarded with the ability to post in the classifieds (for free). It helps the membership also to know who they are buying and selling with if they have some history of legitimate conversation here. No system is 100% perfect but we are trying our best to help it get closer to no fraud here. I appreciate you asking.

Not permitting political talk on some sites can be because it starts to take over the theme of the site. Sure, owning firearms makes it hard to escape politics but when a site is about collecting and shooting but every new thread is about non 2A politics it takes away from the spirit the board was founded on. If there is a no selling policy on a site, that may just be that the site owners dont want to be part of dealing with folks buying/selling and getting in the middle of a deal gone sour.

-Philip

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philip, thank you very for taking the time to answer my curiosities with a detailed response!

I learned a few things and appreciate the candor.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
@Phillip, im curious about the rule regarding the 2A forum where you have to have a certain number of posts before you can even participate in the discussion? Seems odd when we all take pride in the fact that 2A shall not be infriged..but we're going to limit who can talk about it. I have a lot of valuable information as an LEO when it comes to 2A and how to protect oneself, however I dont have sufficient privileges to provide or discuss information pertaining to 2A on this forum. I'm slowly getting to the proper "privilege" point as im not going to make a bunch of fluff posts, but that rule seems odd to me. Haven't come across another rule like it to this point. Thanks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
@Phillip, im curious about the rule regarding the 2A forum where you have to have a certain number of posts before you can even participate in the discussion? Seems odd when we all take pride in the fact that 2A shall not be infriged..but we're going to limit who can talk about it. I have a lot of valuable information as an LEO when it comes to 2A and how to protect oneself, however I dont have sufficient privileges to provide or discuss information pertaining to 2A on this forum. I'm slowly getting to the proper "privilege" point as im not going to make a bunch of fluff posts, but that rule seems odd to me. Haven't come across another rule like it to this point. Thanks.
That is a very fair question that has been asked in a few different ways before. New people were coming in and junk posting just to get their post count high. They would then go to the 2A forum and place troll posts or start troll threads. Raising the post count to a higher number has helped hold off the trolls from doing this. I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say when you are able, @KBond172 and welcome to the Forum.

·
Administrator
995 Posts
Exercise your 2A all day, I have no problem with that. There is some restriction to political discussion because there are people who will take this (have taken this) for granted and will use the platform to promote hate or because they where banned from other social platforms for posting content that incites violence they come here to assume its a safe place to post the memes that had them removed from another site.

One thing to remember is that all of these websites are not protected by any amendment, they are owned and operated by a business, not the government. We have terms of use that everyone agrees to when they sign up. I get the argument often about me infringing on one's 1A rights. This does not apply here and if someone is here with the express intent to spread hate or incite violence they will lose the privilege of accessing the off topic sections of the site or the whole site. There has been a rise in the temperature of some of out off topic sections on sites across our network. As a result we needed to take action curate who is permitted to participate. This rule is not simply written by me, same as all the rules on the site. Your entire mod/admin team will help decide what will be best to help them to keep the peace here. If we left all off topic unchecked two things would happen. We could be de-platformed for violating our terms of use agreement with our service providers or some of the more prolific posters could also get a visit from the FBI. Neither of these are ideal for any party involved.
-Philip

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Thank you Phillip from another staff member for taking the time to explain this. The last several election cycles we have had folks from both sides of the political spectrum come onto this website and post subjects (and a fair amount weren't even gun-related) just to troll the members here. They usually have little patience to contribute anything of value to the forum before their intended purpose of creating chaos with the regular members, so a minimum post limit was put in place by the staff here with a unanimous discussion and resulting decision - it has worked pretty well.

Reactions: vb1911forum

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I have seen, most of the gun forums that get bought out, try to keep the policies as they were. They figure if it was working before, why rock the boat. And when the forum was owned by the one guy that created it, it was run the way he wanted. There are some changes around the margins but very few large wholesale changes. That has been my observation and I am on several gun boards that have changed hands over the last couple years.

·
Administrator
995 Posts
Thank you Phillip from another staff member for taking the time to explain this. The last several election cycles we have had folks from both sides of the political spectrum come onto this website and post subjects (and a fair amount weren't even gun-related) just to troll the members here. They usually have little patience to contribute anything of value to the forum before their intended purpose of creating chaos with the regular members, so a minimum post limit was put in place by the staff here with a unanimous discussion and resulting decision - it has worked pretty well.
The mod team deserves to not have to pay whack-a-mole all the time they are here. :) You guys have enough work to do chasing the spammers and classified spammers as it is.
-Philip

·
Administrator
995 Posts
From what I have seen, most of the gun forums that get bought out, try to keep the policies as they were. They figure if it was working before, why rock the boat. And when the forum was owned by the one guy that created it, it was run the way he wanted. There are some changes around the margins but very few large wholesale changes. That has been my observation and I am on several gun boards that have changed hands over the last couple years.
This is true, we try not to make many changes in policy. Changes made are most often made by the moderator team in the interest of maintaining civility and the spirit the site was founded on; talking about acquiring and firing 1911 pistols. :)
-Philip

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Thanks Phillip.

Reactions: vb1911forum

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a fan of having special sections in a forum to keep topics (like covid and politics) separated from other sections.

Can even stop posts therein from showing up in the 'new posts' lists so it doesn't bother folks who don't want to read them. That's just my two cents.

I do like interacting with other gun enthusiasts on social / government / political topics... But realize many others don't want to read all the blather. Keeping sections separate... and requiring members to go to that section to participate helps.

·
Registered
309 Posts
—snip—
We have had to make regular updates to classifieds access rules to keep up with scammers. They are getting smarter, more organized and willing to play a long game if it means they will separate you from your money. It is preferred that users who join the site are not here just to make a quick buck from the membership.
—snip—
-Philip
This morning, I was kind of surprised to find guns can’t be listed. Given the hyperfocus on potentially unregulated transactions, I can understand the need for the rule. I wish we could create links to listings at GunBroker or Auction Arms. We wouldn’t be selling them here, just promoting an auction. Of course, as in the army, enforcing simple, blanket rules is much easier and minimizes people trying to abuse more complex rules.

I’m just bummed because I’ve listed several 1911s on GunBroker so I can buy a NHC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts