1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in louisville kentucky and there's really a dearth of places to run your gun around here. no indoor ranges. the closest place is knob creek where they have the big machine gun shoot twice a year. i'm a member there but it's about a 40 mile drive and altho it's a beautiful drive it's sometimes a pain in the butt to haul out there. just wondering what the situation is where you guys are. i'm almost tempted to buy a piece of worthless land that's all hill to have a place to go out and run the guns w/ o hassles.

·
Registered
469 Posts
just wondering what the situation is where you guys are.
The club I belong to is about 17 miles away. It has most of the bells and whistles, indoor/outdoor pistol, 200 yd rifle, trap/skeet/clays/5 stand, black powder, archery, 3-D Archery and club house. In addition to that there are at least 4 indoor pistol ranges within 25 miles of home.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Two ranges nearby

There are tow joints I can go to within 15 minutes...:p
There are two outdoor ranges and another indoor 45 minutes from here.

Garry

·
Registered
745 Posts
Where I live we have one indoor pistol range nearby. And they run it like it's the only one. Luckily I have friends and family with land to hunt and shoot on. And there are numerous public ranges in the state and national forests.

Hershey

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There's a public-access range in the Pike National Forest about 20 minutes from my work. I try and head up there when it's nice outside, but it's not uncommon for all the benches to be taken. You also never know what kind of "mall ninja wanna-be" you'll run into.

There's a nice range about 45 minutes South of me, but it's by invitation-only and I'm still waiting to be invited.

:eek:

Otherwise it's about an hour to just find a nice isolated spot in the woods to "plink".

Mike

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am very lucky, the range, indoor, I shoot at is 3 blocks from My doorstep.

I live in a small town with a population of 2000 people and we have a rifle/pistol club, 50 feet max. range, we can use when we like.

It is nice to live in a town were we know most everyone and only members can use the range and members are given a key to the range and can use it anytime after 5:00 PM any day of the week.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I shoot at a 24/7 outdoor range about 10 miles from my residence.

There's talk of trying to build an indoor range at some point.

·
Administrator
13,333 Posts
Please try and keep the topic/subject in the forum that fits the closest . "Where do you guys shoot " is not Springfield related .

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a public out door shooting range 15 min. from my house.

It has a pistol, and rifle range and a skeet shooting range.

only open on wensdays, sat. and sun. though. :(

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The last couple of times I've gone up to Rampart Range, it's either been packed (no open pistol benches) or it's been REALLY, REALLY windy.

I don't know exactly what the wind-speed up there is, but strong enough that flying debris is a real hazard. Probably 50mph.

:mad:

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx much clyde
ray's has moved and at present doesn't have a range. that club out in lexington looks good. is it crowded during the week? that's not all that much further than knob creek from me. rick

·
Registered
259 Posts
rick grigutis
They are recruiting new members now (BGSL) and you can start your application on line. (Have to be a member to use range) During the week would be the best time to hit the range. That said the weekends are not bad either. (Do not know mucth about skeet and trap ranges) . The indoor range is also quick to get on during the week. They allow handgun cartirdges to be fired.

Not sure how to join Silver Creek or Hidden Hills. I have attened matches at this clubs and the are both close to Louisville.

Take Care

Welcome to the World of 1911's -

Clyde

·
Registered
709 Posts
I used to go to "Indoor" range:barf:

Then I joined X-Line gun Club... Outdoor!:D range Pistol/Rifle

1 - 20 of 61 Posts