1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM ASSUMING OUT SHOOTING THE CHARLES DALY".
ANYWAY I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CD FORUM HAS BEEN KINDA SLOW LATELY. what i would like is for all of you to start posting, good are bad reports. shoot the ****, if nothing eles".
i have been very enterested in previous post. and would like to hear from you all again. happy 4th to all

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lots of us are still here, jb. Just lurking instead of posting, nothing to complain about with our CD's.
Hope to get out tomorrow and put a few more rounds through mine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now thats more like it
i wasnt abandon after all lol
i was hoping to get this forum on cd's agoing
any way i used all top name brand parts in my cd, but for those on a tighter budget. are simply want a quaility parts at a wholsale price? this web site may be worth checking out. http://www.45gunparts.com/ im not sure about all there parts, as to what they are made of. but from my understanding they are all metal"< i wouldnt use any cast parts in the slide or frame not even the levers. all steel. cast or prone to breakage and wear out quicker. so if your thinking of reconditioning your 1911 this may be of some help, for budget minded folks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Inspired by James Beam, been workin' on my CD FS, pretty much finished last night. Most internals replaced w/ Ed Brown parts. Wolff 18lb recoil spring with a Wilson shok-buff. Refinished w/ Brownell's gray bake-on finish. Installed Pachmayr long trigger & their adjustable rear sight. Already had a new barrel & NM bushing, already shoots good.

Would like to post some pics. Do I have to link to another site or can I attach 'em to a message?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey JB! I've been lurking the past few weeks. The competiton season is in full swing here in Central Iowa and I have been spending most of my time at the reloading bench. I tried to reload what I "thought" I needed during the winter but my supply was getting a little too thin for comfort. I haven't experienced any problems with my Daly other than that cast extractor I had to replace awhile back. Happy 4th everyone!

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
199 Posts
It almost seems like the only time people like to talk about their CD is when they have a complaint.

I guess all is well in the CD world....no compaints.

Glad to hear it !
Happy 4th
and good shooting!

·
Registered
73 Posts
JB & NetLar, how much $$$ did you put in to your CD in the way of aftermarket parts and such? How hard is it to tear a 1911 down to bare bones? I've seen the instructions on the M-1911 Pistols site, but haven't really studied them.

The only gun I've ever detail-stripped and "played with" is my Mak. Very simple design that even I can't screw up.
However, I've always been hesitant to go beyond field-stripping my 1911's or other guns.

I have no complaints about the form or function of my CD out of the box. Why alter it? I did put a WIlson Shok-Buff in it, though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi logan,the dalys are fine out of the box.but it isnt going to be as accurate are as dependable, and the cast parts or prone to break easly. it depends on what you want and inspect in a fire arm. casual plinking home defense are carry gun. if so you would want what is best. i hate to be shooting in a match are trying to save ones life, and the cast parts internally and even the operating levers are cast decide to break.but than again who am i to say when and were the parts are going to break. i rest better knowing that i have all steel parts. you can take a mak down, you can easly take a 1911 down. e-mail me if i can be of help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi logan, i was fixed to leave for work this morning when i posted here. i would suggest geting a 1911 how to's gunsmithing book,and use it to help guide you along. also you can look over the factory parts that come out of it, as a reffernce, you can adjust your new parts into there shape. the trick is to remove as little metal as possilble.you can remove too much. use the best parts you can afford. nothing too good for your 1911
and while taking apart completly....play close attention to sear and dissconector relationship and threeleaf spring. its really easy. but if you have a book,it will help reassure to correctly reassembling.once you have done it a time are two. you'll realize how easy it is. and feel foolish
i have nearly 369.00 in parts and around 200.00 in quaility magg's. but you can go with other brands of parts and still come out a winner. try to stick with the same name brand parts inside your frame...for best results.slide parts i used ed brown. except for the barrelbushing and rearsight. e-mail me if you have any questions, i'll be happy to be of help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am still here just been to tired to type much . Been busy building those holsters everyone is ordering over at Rafter S gunleather and Bill Wilsons stuff to . Cant complain I'm back to working and making money .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi jafo, holster making
sounds like fun. i use galco and a few other makers holsters. whats the price range on the holsters you all have?? im considering buying another one soon, also a magg pouch/double. hope fully youll have your cd 1911,back soon. keep us posted!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
walkingpoint, have you decided to use the rear sights that came with the efs. are you going to change them out?? its interesting to know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i'm still here, just busy: work, daughters softball, volley ball and basket ball camps, church camps. i'm sure i've missed a lot.
mcole

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mr. Beam You can check us out at www.raftersgunleather.com
Our Prices are far lower than others and the quality is as good as it can get no kidding , we are trying to build a customer base so get the word out quick before the boss raises the prices . Leather is going up some due to gas and the cow scare thing in europe , funny how that affcts us over here but it is starting to . We sell a Sharkskin speed scabbard right now for 59.00 thats half what the others sell theirs for . Our edges are handrubbed to and sprayed with a finish to protect the leather . We have been building Wilson Combat holsters for years now so that gives you an idea of our quality . We also make belts , mag pouches , buttstock shell holders for long guns , revolver stuff and light -mag combo carriers . thats www.raftersgunleather.com

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636 WWW.raftersgunleather.com

[This message has been edited by JAFO216 (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jafo those are some really nice looking holsters
i didnt notice any horeshide leather holsters??? do you all make them??? thats what im looking for. iwb holster and dbl.pouch. thoes you have are kinda fancy", but the prices are decent. my wife wanting to go shopping and now rushing me off putor
i'll get back with you on this .

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by james beam:
IM ASSUMING OUT SHOOTING THE CHARLES DALY".
ANYWAY I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CD FORUM HAS BEEN KINDA SLOW LATELY. what i would like is for all of you to start posting, good are bad reports. shoot the ****, if nothing eles".
i have been very enterested in previous post. and would like to hear from you all again. happy 4th to all
Personally, I've been out firing my Daly. I must say that I'm thrilled with it since it's repair.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, fellow shooters. Took some help from Walking Point, but here's some pictures of my CD FS.

Before:

After:

Yes, it was a lot of work. Yes, it was worth it: It consistently shoots one big hole at 25 yards when I do my part.

The working parts are mostly Ed Brown, except the long trigger, which is a Pachmayr. The grips are Smith and Alexander

and the mag well and wedge mainspring housing

is Ed Brown.

Sights are Pachmayr rear and HiViz front. The front sight is their new one for a Kimber cross-slide dovetail. No, it was _not_ a drop in.

I did all the work except for replacing the barrel and bushing. Ken Crawley at Crawley Custom accomplished that.

I had him polish the breech face while he had it.

Fitting the new barrel was the single most expensive mod. I shot it a couple of thousand rounds before doing so and was sure it would hold up for the amount of shooting I plan to do with it.

How much did it all cost? I haven't totaled it up - I don't want to know.
Seriously, I'll do so and post the figures.

What I know now is:
1) A whole lot more about 1911's than a couple of years ago.

2) The CD frame and slide do appear to be softer than some others. But where I would have been hesitant to rework a more expensive pistol (YMMV), I wasn't afraid to treat this one as a learning experience.

Hope y'all find this interesting.

NetLar

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
netlar, excellent job
great pictures as well
now you know how i feel about my cd 1911. great finish job", and i really liked the edbrowns, mainspring housing and magwell. it was a great learning exsperience. now you can enjoy, your 1911 even more so than befor
congrats

·
Registered
75 Posts
LogansDad & other interested parties: Check out the new topic 'CD FS rebuild' for cost & details on the work.

NetLar

1 - 20 of 20 Posts