1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few boxes of the Federal 124gr +P+ Hydrashock ammo, but wanted to try the Winchester in my new High Powers.

Can anyone point me to an online seller of the Winchester +P+?

Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
IF you like your HP do not shoot +P+ in it or you Will crack the slide. The HI Power is not as strong a pistol as many think it is. The slides will generally crack just below the ejection port.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Nick said:
IF you like your HP do not shoot +P+ in it or you Will crack the slide. The HI Power is not as strong a pistol as many think it is. The slides will generally crack just below the ejection port.
There have been a couple examples of this, but as I recall it was in older pistols that hadn't fired higher pressure ammo anyways. The Hi-Power is a military pistol and fired NATO pressure all over the world. I think you're just contributing to typical gun forum B.S. about the Hi-Power more than spreading any knowledge here.

·
Registered
609 Posts
PsychoSword said:
There have been a couple examples of this, but as I recall it was in older pistols that hadn't fired higher pressure ammo anyways. The Hi-Power is a military pistol and fired NATO pressure all over the world. I think you're just contributing to typical gun forum B.S. about the Hi-Power more than spreading any knowledge here.
you said it, people give to many trust to some gunrag authors who give their not very scientific guesses

HP slides have cracked but that is with a diet of machinepistol ammo and/or not changing out the recoil spring, also all of them were pre-MKIII pistols

some time ago someone posted two slides cracking below the ejection port at 50K rounds, well this the estimated service life the Belgian army sees the HP doing with NATO ammo, so to me this was a positive post

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some time ago someone posted two slides cracking below the ejection port at 50K rounds

You mean these? I posted those photos. And yes, these did get their share of standard pressure, +p, and +P+ ammo. But their failure at 50K is a testament to the strength of the High Power design. The +P+ ammo I am looking for will be shot in a new MKIII frame, and limited amounts. So I appreciate the concern, but am not worried about damage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't write for any gun magazines but I have a little experience with Browning's, as well as a couple of other pistols. Based on this experience I recommend you don't shoot +P+ ammo thru a Browning 9mm. It was never design to handle those pressure levels and you will tear it up...........

If you want to shoot +P+ loads, buy a 40 cal Browning and convert it to
9mm. It has much better materials and a heavier slide.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't see why anyone would constantly shoot +P+ in any pistol, it's okay maybe for carry, but what good is it to punish the paper more severly? Fire some and see if you can handle it and that's it

the HP was designed to handle 124 grs military ball ammo which isn't softly loaded, so it might be not the toughest built of all 9mm handguns, but after seeing lots of military and police pistols that only fired NATO ammo in their life span, I find it hard to believe that this gun is a weakling, I mean if you think about the M9 design, I cannot believe that it would outlast the HP with the same ammo

·
Registered
853 Posts
I may be a junior member but am not some newbie, look at my join date, I don't post UNLESS I CAN contribute. I am not a gun writing hack. I am a combat vet who had the fortune to serve with some SAS troops. I was in their armory one day and saw a box of HP slides. When I asked their armorer what they were he replied, " those are buggered slides, they crack right through on a routine basis so we just swap them out as they crack". They kept the broken ones for inventory/logistical reasons.
Many years later I was shooting IPSC with a couple of tricked out NOVAK HiPowers, shooting factory, minor power factor ammo. I changed my recoil spring every 1K rds, and guess what I cracked a slide on one. In speaking with a browning rep I was informed that the HP was never designed to stand up to any regular abuse, (their words not mine), AND that the Hi Power had a life expectancy of fewer than 20K rds, again their words not mine.
This is REAL life experience not gun writers BS or gunshop commando BS, real world. How many of you have put better than 20k rds through yours?

As a side not I totally agree with Bob H. the FN cast frames/slides are much tougher than the original forged steel ones, ask any gunsmith who has hand checkered one! This along with the added weight in the 40 slides should really aid in the 9's longevity.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enough....This is getting off topic...

I appreciate the comments. However this thread is getting off topic.

I am over 21, wise to the ways of the world and accept the consequences of my decisions. Period.

The question was, and remains, does anyone know where I can buy Winchester 127gr. +P+ 9mm? An online source would be appreciated. I have found a few sellers, but always like to comparison shop.

Look at those two cracked slides. I have plenty of time behind the trigger.

Thanks to all for the other info.

Let's get back on topic.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ammoman - http://www.ammoman.com/ - has carried it, but I don't see it on the website now.

I wouldn't worry about damage to the gun. Few people can afford to shoot enough +P+ through their guns to hurt them. As you said, you're an adult; do what you think is best.

I have a 1961 Argy HP that I've customized.

It's my favorite carry gun and it's loaded with +P Cor Bon. For practice and IDPA, of course, I shoot WWB.

Hint: The Wolfe 18.5 lb spring is a good idea no matter what you're shooting.

John
Cape Canaveral

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've ordered it from:
[email protected]
I think his 127 +P+ is 18.00 per box of 50. I've experienced, and heard, nothing but good about him.

The following are places that have had it, but I have not ordered from any of them:

M.A.H. Supplies
www.mahsupplies.net
Last I checked, they were out of 9mm, but had other calibers of Ranger.

Wisconsin Cartridge Company
[email protected]

And the last, I don't have a name, but saw the email contact here in the "Ammo Can" section recently-
[email protected]

And yes, I shoot it in my BHPs. But two boxes will last a while.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I only wanted about 5 boxes. The prices all seem to be about the same ~$18 to $22/box~ of 50.

I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Texasflyboy said:
I appreciate the comments. However this thread is getting off topic.

I am over 21, wise to the ways of the world and accept the consequences of my decisions. Period.

The question was, and remains, does anyone know where I can buy Winchester 127gr. +P+ 9mm? An online source would be appreciated. I have found a few sellers, but always like to comparison shop.

Look at those two cracked slides. I have plenty of time behind the trigger.

Thanks to all for the other info.

Let's get back on topic.
Yup, mention you wanna shoot +p's in a HiPower and that's what usually happens. :rolleyes:

For me, I practice with standard pressure but my carry load is a +p which I shoot two boxes of 20 just to see how it prints and that's it. That's what most people do and then there are some that shoot whatever they damn well please and if their frames crack, they buy new ones! :cool: And then there are those that feel they need to offer advice even when none is asked for. Unfortunately, I've done it myself at times. Human nature I guess.

ANYWAY! Enjoy the 127 grain Winchesters, Texasflyboy. It's a great load that will defend you well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts