1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally use the online load data of various powder manufacturers and the bullets they commonly list are Speer, Hornady, etc. I'd like to see how long the mentioned bullets are so I get an idea of seating depth. Is there a site which lists the dimensions (especially length) of major brand bullets? I couldn't find the dimensions on the manufacturers' sites.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I agree, that would be a useful piece of information. You would know which bullets would interchange with reasonable safety and performance. But I have not seen it published for any make of bullet.

So start collecting measurements and post a database.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You will have to do it yourself, when I started shooting Wildcat we had to determinne ourselves of the bullet depth. Not very difficult to do, we use to take an empty case that was made for the wildcat, saw an X in the neck of the case just far enough to allow the bullet to set in place. Take the the case and (in our case with a TC) chamber the empty cartridge and close it up , then remove the cartridge and measure the OAL and increase by 25 thousanths. This will give you the bullet depth for your firearm.

TC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts