1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several different 1911's over the years, however I have never had an "official" plain vanilla 1911a1, gov marked and all...where would I look online to find one used/abused? the gun shows around here are not very good and rarely have these around.
any ideas for me to find a shooter and not a collector necessarily, aside from the Springfields and Colts that are current? I'm more interested in a piece of history.

cheers,
Derek

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
It's a multi-step process, in this order:

*Have a basic idea what you want and what it's typically worth on today's market.

*Start saving up the cash.

*While saving, get yourself educated on things such as what small parts are corerct for the specimen(s) you intend to look for. Especially learn how to spot a refinish, as it affects value significantly.

*Keep your eyes peeled. Nice ones show up on Auction Arms, Gunbroker, Guns America, Collector's Firearms, and of course gun shows and pawn shops all the time. However, there's enough other folk looking for the same thing that you'd better have the money and the knowledge up front. It'll be gone the next time you look otherwise.

*Last thing, have fun. It's a hobby, not life or death (well, for most of us at least).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help.
the thrill of the hunt will be as exciting as the find.
an old college friend stated in front of his grand dad that he was going to buy a gun...his grand dad told him that was silly, that he had lots upstairs and would give him one. he came back with a wwI colt, flat housing, longish trigger.
unfortunately, i managed to tell him what a cool "gift" that was, so I don't think I'll be able to get it from him!

cheers,
Derek

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
I'd rather not make the mistake at all, personally. If you collect long enough you'll eventually get burned, but there's no reason to subject yourself to it if you can prevent it. The truth is, if you start out with a lower-end piece like a plain-jane Remington Rand or Ithaca you're not as likely to get burned anyway. At the most you might buy a gun that's overpriced by a couple hundred dollars. The big worry is when you start looking for minty blued pre-war Colts or rare birds like US&S pistols. Then you run the risk of paying $2000+ for a gun that was faked and thus worth only a few hundred, assuming it's even legal! :eek:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with Dana,the key is to study because there's a lot of info to be had on Ty's and dsk's sites along with asking questions here on this forum.If you do start out on the lower end of things by the time you find one you'll be surprised at what you've learned and you'll have a good pistol that you can enjoy.
But beware......this is addictive.A couple of years ago I didn't own a single .45,now I'm looking for number 6.
The good thing is,if you buy wisely,you can almost always get your investment back and then some if you can let go of them.
Myself......I guess my sons will be the ones to have to sell them after I've kicked the bucket!:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Agree strongly on the WA state Show n' Shoot. Lot of examples there on display, and plenty of people willing to personally show you what to look for and what to look out for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dana & Scott,

Thanks for the advice! I would love to get to the show/shoot in WA, but I live in Indiana... I doubt I'll be out your way anytime soon.

However, the Louisville "Nat'l Gun Day" shows are another story! :D

Thanks, again!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts