1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searched the web and find very little. I have been a huge fan of his for years and would like to find out a little more. Especially if he does private instruction and such.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Leatham has an EXCELLENT video which is available from Dillon's. It's a 30 minute video entitled "Shooter Ready." I've watched this over and over to pick up some tips. He appears to be a very good and patient teacher. The cost of the tape is a very well spent $16.

·
Registered
263 Posts
no offence to you or letham sir, but the video is not that good in my opinion, it shows him shooting a lot, but is very basic, as is the new video out by todd jarrett, i give jarrett the slight edge because of its more specific content.... and that shooter ready video letham looks pretty young!

wish i could offer some assistance, but i too am interested in learning more about mr. letham.

·
Registered
144 Posts
"no offence to you or letham sir, but the video is not that good in my opinion"

No offense taken here, but being a novice at competitive shooting, it's still an excellent video for me, who can use all of the tips and help I can get. I really like Leatham's style.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys, I have his Shooter Ready video. Its ok, I have actually picked up alot more watching him over and over on a video of the 94 USPSA limited nationals match, I have pretty much worn that tape out. I wish i could find more competition on video. I see him every other week on american shooter, but it is more basic stuff more for begining shooters. I know Matt Burkett has a book out as well, i just am leery as i dont know if it is more designed for open class instead of limited. I bought Enos' book, but about every three pages i just scream out, JUST SAY WHAT YOU MEAN"", IT IS very metaphorical, and i dont like haveing to read between the lines. Too many big uphamistic words, wow,..that one was pretty big as well. So if anyone has read Matts book, or know where I can find some more Limited competition on tape, please let me know. "gun video doesnt". thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have Matt's book and it is suited to Limited as well as Open. I also have Brian's book and I actually like it.

If you want detailed instruction you might want to take a look at Ron Avery's new tapes. I have them all and they are pretty good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rob's a fantastic shooter. I watched him in pure amazement at the recent Area 1 championships.

He shoots so damn fast, my instincts tell me he's gotta'be missing, he's wasn't.

The guy has sooooo many well thought outrounds down range through the years in the 1911 style gun that it seems that he points his Springfield like you or I point our finger at at something, just au'natural.

It's always neat to be in the presence of a "celebrity", and Rob seems to be a genuine guy. I'll share a couple stories from Area 1:

He's very observant. When most people are watching the shooter, it seemed to me that Rob was looking at other things. During one stage Rob walked up behind me and gave me a .40 cal slug. He told me it just missed me, I said "what!"
Out of 20+ people standing there, he was the only one to see this bullet richocet off the tire backstop and whizz by my shoulder!
"Tires are the worst backstop.." he said as he walked away. All I could think was JEEEZ! It came that close to me and I didn't see it,...and he did?

An analogy I can think of is one of the veteran NFL quarterback. John Elway once said that as he got older he lost some speed, agility. But, his performance was improving. He was throwing more touchdown passes, avoiding sacks and winning more games. His explaination for this was that he made up for his loss of physical ability with MENTAL ability. "I see the whole field...I'm relaxed and confident.."

I think Rob's like this. Not that he has lost any physical ability from his youth (he probably has), but the fact that he sees the whole picture. He has developed a sense of relaxation and "another day at the office" attitude that lets him see things that others don't.

He's very in-tune with shooting.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'd second the recommendation on Enos' book. If you have the basics down and need to move to the next level it will get you there. After reading a couple of chapters my groups halved in size and my times probably dropped by a third. No BS!

The keys for me were his talk about a relaxed, neutral grip and stance, and letting the subconcious mind control your shooting in a state of awareness.

Quit thinkin' so hard and just shoot. Your rational thought process is just slowing you down.

I'm going to have to read that book several times to get the full benefit. There's too much there to catch it all on a single read.

BTW Enos and Leatham are tight buddies, at least you get that impression from reading the book. They have very similar shooting philosophies and mindsets.

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have thought about purchaing Brian's book for a long time. i also want to purchase the book by matt burkette.

as for sub conscious shooting, it is like anything, like how did you drive the last 200 miles and not remember actually driving.

last saturday i had a stage happen like that, i had the best score on that stage, which is a pretty good feat when you have ken hackathorn and rob haught plus about 4 other high master's shooting!!! sadly i can't do it on demand :-(

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by smoney:

as for sub conscious shooting, it is like anything, like how did you drive the last 200 miles and not remember actually driving.
If you want to read a good book about shooting from the subconscious, read "Freedom From Trigger Jerk" if you can find it. It's out of print presently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts