1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas when and where pistol primers will be more available? I am sure the pandemic, panic buying, and hoarders are all contributing to the shortage, but when may we expect to see primers available again at reasonable prices. I found a place on-line that is offering CCI small pistol primers for $6.99 per hundred plus shipping, so this is sheer price gouging. This is over twice the cost of the last time I purchased primers which was about 9 months ago.....

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
This is the toughest component to come by right now, as usual, the first to go.
There’s no tellin’ on timeline. There were years of fighting to stay above water during the Obozo days. Now we have Obozo 2 up to bat. Hopefully they will be chasing their tail by dealing with the squad and their lunacy that they won’t have time to ban much.
A nice little Chinese collusion impeachment process would help in about two months. What’s good for the goose.........

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No telling word has it that ammo manufacturers are holding the primers for loaded ammo production vs selling as components.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If and when this ever turns around learn from it. Think of primers in terms of 10, 20 thousand or more when you buy them. Build a supply and replenish it as you load. Easy to take the supply for granted when it is lower priced and plentiful. No different than your food and water supply. Have enough on hand and plans to remedy a potential crisis.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
At least a year for things to unwind....

Alloutdoor posted a link to an article, saying in part:

Big-name shooting sports company Vista Outdoor Inc. reported “over a year’s worth” of backlogged ammunition orders worth more than $1 billion, an official said recently.

Vista was reporting its second-quarter earnings when CEO Chris Metz detailed what announced the backlog, which he called “unprecedented” for the company.

“We currently have over a year’s worth of orders for ammunition in excess of $1 billion,” Metz said during the Nov. 5 call. “With demand far outstripping supply and inventory levels in the channel at all-time lows, we see strong demand continuing, and this metric informs our viewpoint of what a recovery or normalization could look like.”
I assume components will be secondary or at least undersupplied as thye catch up on ammo....

·
Registered
786 Posts
A couple of years ago primers were less than $24/k shipped from BHSS. Stocked up then, with no backorders; been loading out of that supply since and still have plenty. Learned from the past and are fat and happy in the present.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The writing has been on the wall for many decades we’ve been through many ammo/reloading supply shortages. These shortages this time hit us really hard. In these times is what shooting surplus military guns and ammo is for. The old 7.62 Tokarev, the 7.62 Nagant, the 9 mm makarov, the 9 mm largo guns and ammo is for the inbetweens. Even buy the Russian Wolf, Russian Barnaul and Russian bear ammo when it comes available again. I like shooting the military surplus ammo in some cases no reloading.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Pandemic aside if you weren't stocking up with a national election coming you got what you had coming to you...shortages. I lived through those Obama years and knew better.

I pointed the OP to a place couple months ago, but it appears like he only bought about 5K.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Someone is bidding over $300 for 1K of CCI Small Pistol primers !
That's nuts but that dude is still ahead of the panic non-reloaders.

Assuming 9mm...
brass- free
primer- 0.30
bullet- 0.10 (lets go premium!)
powder- 0.02
total- 0.40

That's $40/100 or $20 a box/50 for premium ammo. That's still at or below half the cost of gunshow range ammo this past weekend!

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's nuts but that dude is still ahead of the panic non-reloaders.

Assuming 9mm...
brass- free
primer- 0.30
bullet- 0.10 (lets go premium!)
powder- 0.02
total- 0.40

That's $40/100 or $20 a box/50 for premium ammo. That's still at or below half the cost of gunshow range ammo this past weekend!
I only wish I could obtain Premium 9mm bullets for 10 cents each. Practically unobtanium for now, but I suppose one could order 1,000 124gr JHP from RMR and wait 3-4 months for delivery. Yeah...I guess I could do that. Currently, they have "Don't contact us before 10 weeks has passed" on their website.

You missed the 2 cents...not my 2 cents, the powder cost.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
How much is a 1,000 primers worth? $300? +

I was complaining about new 338 Wm. Ammo being as high as $24 for safari grade ammo. I have about $1,000 in today’s prices maybe more. Crazy

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I only wish I could obtain Premium 9mm bullets for 10 cents each. Practically unobtanium for now, but I suppose one could order 1,000 124gr JHP from RMR and wait 3-4 months for delivery. Yeah...I guess I could do that. Currently, they have "Don't contact us before 10 weeks has passed" on their website.

You missed the 2 cents...not my 2 cents, the powder cost.
You got to put in an order and forget about it for a while. Order them now and in 2-3 months you'll have them. You can play out the doomsday scenarios, but if you are out of everything, my math isn't the problem. ;)

I was paying less than that for the RMR 124 JHP's... I have bought in 3k qty's (which used to be a break point) and they were 8-8.4 cents delivered, depending on when I got them.

My powder cost for that load is $0.015, with 5.4 gr of Silhouette. Sure you could load it with VV powder and go higher but even at $0.05 cents per, your still $22.50 a box instead of $20, and that's still less than half the cost of the gunshow ammo.

·
Registered
862 Posts
...I suppose one could order 1,000 124gr JHP from RMR and wait 3-4 months for delivery. Yeah...I guess I could do that. Currently, they have "Don't contact us before 10 weeks has passed" on their website...
That's exactly what I did a few nights ago. I've got enough 9mm bullets to last me for 3 or 4 months, so I can afford to wait that long. What scares me more than waiting on ammo or components is the possibility that the leftists could be able to push through legislation that levies a 500% tax on those items. In that case, the outrageous prices that we're seeing today could be remembered rather fondly.

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
At least a year for things to unwind....

Alloutdoor posted a link to an article, saying in part:

I assume components will be secondary or at least undersupplied as thye catch up on ammo....
That’s a really good point!
I do have to laugh at Vista Outdoors though. They were having bankruptcy troubles during the Obozo years when they should have been doing great. At the same time, Cerberus was driving Remington into a brick wall. You talk about destined to fail...........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts