1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,525 Posts
98_1LE said:
I am afraid I will eventually lose it, and would like to have a spare. Where can I get a couple?
If you mean that little "L" shaped piece of steel wire, any old small paperclip can be cut and shaped to about the right size. Just be a little careful 'cause the paperclip is kind of soft, and the plug might cut it if you abuse it.

I haven't tried it, but the little allen wrench that comes with some "XS" sights is probably also the right size, and would be harder.

The only real problem is finding the small paper clips around here. The wife steals my office supplies. :)

Regards,

· Registered
2,525 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
98 TLE, if you have access to some mild steel .045 welding wire they make a great spare. I have one stuck in about al the places I can think I will ever need one. If you don't let me know and pm me your address and I will send some. Ron

· Premium Member
13,134 Posts
All you need is a heavy duty paper clip. Go buy 1000 at Office Depot and cut and bend as you need one.
Here is the diagram for the takedown Nyper. You should also go to Kimber's website and download the manual for the Pro, Compact and Ultra pistols.

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Kruzr:

Problem is that even if you have the manual, you may lose the tool, and in any case, it's a little confusing if you haven't done it before....

(I almost lost the tool that came with mine.... I'm thinking about sticking one behind a grip panel, but then I'd lose the allen wrench and....)

Regards,

· Premium Member
13,134 Posts
I've had mine for about 3 years. When I first got it, I threw some paperclips in my range bag. Most of them are still there. FWIW, I lost my "official" take-down tool sometime in my 10 day wait, I've always used paperclips.

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Italian Cowboy said:
Just call Kimber and ask for 1 or 2. It works!
Nah.... Way too much sense....

I'm convinced that about half of this gang are the type who'd machine a screwdriver into a spring hook, and then spend the rest of the day looking for a file to make into a screwdriver to replace the other one.... I don't think I'm quite that bad, but....

While fighting the magazines in my double-stacked Para I decided I needed a spring tool, and ended up cutting a slot in a small screwdriver with my dremel tool. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and I still use it for a screwdriver, too, but the latter was an accident.

Regards,

· Registered
735 Posts
Screw the break down tool, I do not use it nor do you need it to break down a Kimber. Refer to the sticky thread near the top of the Kimber page from goober. Field stripping a 3" Kimber! I now break down my UCDP in 15-20 seconds easy no tool required.

CG.

· Premium Member
13,134 Posts
I'm convinced that about half of this gang are the type who'd machine a screwdriver into a spring hook, and then spend the rest of the day looking for a file to make into a screwdriver to replace the other one
Well now that's just silly. You don't need to ruin a file if you make the spring hooks from phillips screwdrivers. :)

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Custom-guy said:
Screw the break down tool, I do not use it nor do you need it to break down a Kimber. Refer to the sticky thread near the top of the Kimber page from goober. Field stripping a 3" Kimber! I now break down my UCDP in 15-20 seconds easy no tool required.
Forgot about that....

I think I'd hurt myself, though....

Seriously, there's no reason not to do it that way - you can pop the slide stop out of the gun without latching up the spring easily enough. I think the spring in my little one may be too heavy, though, to get the spring and rod out.

Just IMHO, of course.

Thanks,

· Registered
451 Posts
Noticed the tool was making nasty nicks in the front of the recoil spring plug on my Tactical Pro; easy enough to do without it...

Doc H.

· Registered
2,525 Posts
I just tried the tool-less spring handling on my Compact Custom.

Didn't work....

No problem popping the slide off, but the full length guide rod and bushing setup are too long and fat to lift up far enough to remove it from the slide unless I did something really wrong....

If I push the "shield shaped" end of the guide rod forward to compress the spring a bit, and get clear of the barrel, I can't seem to raise it up far enough to back it out. Guess I can try it again, but....

The gun's an "Officer's" length frame (all steel) with a 4" barrel and correspondingly short slide.

The plunger just doesn't have any room to tilt, and it's about a third the length of the guide rod.

Sort of a "what were they thinking" 'cause a bigger hole would allow a very small allen wrench or a Jumbo paperclip, although both would have to be fitted - the short leg of the "L" has to be about the right size.

Regards,

· Registered
47 Posts
I made a couple spares from some music wire I had laying around. What is music wire you ask???? I use it for my control surfaces in my model airplanes. The stuff is tempered which makes it incredibly strong, and it's cheap. You can get it in various diameters at your local hobby store (not Hobby Lobby). Unfortunately, I don't have very much in the correct diameter, or I would send some to everyone interested.

Here is a link so you will know what to look for.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWU98&P=7

Too many hobbies, too little time.

Adam

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Found two "Hobby Lobby" references on the web. One's a "generic" arts & crafts place, and the other has RC model aircraft stuff....

Music wire would be a good choice, though!

I did another quick test. My collection of "Jumbo" paper clips are small enough to fit the hole. I thought that they wouldn't. Since I've got about 500 of those on my desk....

Also, I can't get the guide rod, spring, and plunger assembly out of my Compact Custom without compressing the spring with a pin. Unless there's some really magic trick to make me red-in-the-face....

The "Jumbo" paper clips are probably hard enough to not have to worry about the plunger cutting one off for you, and soft enough to cut with ordinary wire cutters (and not make dents in the plunger, too).

I think we have to say "depends on the gun" with respect to not using a pin to take these down.

Regards,

· Registered
735 Posts
98_1LE said:
I have read the sticky, and still prefer to use the tool. Do you still have your Custom Guy :)
Are you refering to the tool or gun? I still have both, the tool has never been used.

CG.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.