1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm not a professional shooter by any means. In fact I don't know a whole lot about guns other then how to shoot and clean them. So pardon my ignorance about gun parts. Today I screwed up bad when I took apart my Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45 auto. I completely disasembled it to clean it up, and somehow I lost a pin or something that attatches a small plate with two holes in it to the barrel. I don't know the name of the parts, but one of the holes in the part the pin goes through to attatch it to the barrel, and the other hole is what the slide release mechanism pin goes through. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to obtain this part?? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

B

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That would be the barrel link pin. The barrel link is what you described as the "small plate with two holes in it". There are plenty of places around that you could order the pin from but your probably going to pay alot more then the part is worth in shipping. There might be some stores in Seattle that would have the part in stock (Adventure Sports) but that assumes your up in Seattle to get it.

What I would recommend is contacting Springfield and see if they might send you one. Chances are, they'll just give it to you for free because it would probably cost them more to "sell" it to you then to give it to you. Do this, call up Springfield and ask for extension X939. This is Debi's extension and I'm sure she'd help you out. I've been dealing with Debi over the last couple day's on a warranty repair issue and she seems to really go out of her way to help out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just got back from a page with assembly/disassembly destructions and came to find that the part in question is called a "barrel link". I'm seeing so much reference to people replacing parts to make their guns more accurate. It almost makes me want to take this oportunity to soup it up at the same time. Anyway, any suggestions, including vendor recommendations would be a great help. Thanks again....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply vapor. We must have posted almost at the same time! I'll give Springfield a call. I was at their web site and there was no mention of parts sales. I appreciate the reference. Looks like there is some real good information at this web site and its links. I'm intrigued at the idea of trying to improve the accuracy of this gun too. I shot a friends 45 a while back and it shot the tightest groups. I'd be lucky to hit the paper consistently with this gun.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Bolistic:
It almost makes me want to take this oportunity to soup it up at the same time. Anyway, any suggestions, including vendor recommendations would be a great help. Thanks again....
You want to tread carefully in this area. I'm NOT a gunsmith and have never experimented with barrel links so take this for what its worth. The barrel link length is responsible for "link down". There's an involved process to determine the correct length of the barrel link with respect to how the lower barrel lug makes contact with the frame bridge and bed during link down. The link also effects how the barrel goes into battery and engages the upper barrel lugs.

Wilson Combat makes 5 different barrel links but unless you really know what your doing, I'd be really cautions about messing around with link lengths. I feel like I know the finer details of the 1911 design pretty well but I myself would be cautious when it came to dealing with "non-standard" barrel link lengths.

Regarding the accuracy of your Springfield, if your barrel link pin was that loose, it may have effected how the barrel locked up (you can always test this by pressing down on the barrel hood when the barrel is locked up...if it moves....its not a good thing).

My Springfield out of the box is extremely accurate and there is little movement on the barrel hood when pressed. The gun is also completely stock (no special parts like accuracy bushings, long links, guide grippers, match barrels, slide tightening or anything like that.)

If your Springfield is all over the map, I'd have it looked at....however you may have already touched on the problem....the barrel link pin shouldn't fall out like that.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If you have a local gunsmith, he probably has a pin he can sell you. Otherwise, go to Brownells You can buy a new one from them. They are excellent and should be able to help you in every way necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vapor, What is the barrel hood? I checked the parts diagram and could not find that name on a part. Might you be referring to the slide? I guess it's a little late to check for looseness now anyway since I lost the pin. Mute, That Brownell's has it all no doubt. I did a search for barrel link and had 25 results for barrel links and pins. I'm going to e-mail them and see if they have any suggestions on accurizing this gun too...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Bolistic:
Vapor, What is the barrel hood? I checked the parts diagram and could not find that name on a part.
Barrel Hood is the "slang" term given to the rear exposed part of the barrel that is viewed through the ejection port of the slide. Typically if you can push down on it and it moves, it indicates looseness in the engagement of the upper barrel lugs to the slide.....possibly due to the wrong size barrel link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts