1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum lately and settled on a TRS based on the positive comments and immediate availability (local shop). Love the gun, but I'm not sure what to carry it in. I'm interested in hearing from some TRS owners about what holsters they prefer for both IWB and OWB. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Outstanding choice in my opinion. I carry a TRS or a Kimber (until I can get another TRS). The holster I currently use is a Blade-Tech IWB for concealed. Works under shirts, vests and jackets. Also have Blade-Tech OWB. Only with Jackets though.

I'm anxiously awaiting the full sized version of the sidearmor IWB though (J-hook version that's removeable). Their stuff looks great (I've seen the one for a commander, and it's thinner than the Blade Tech). I like Ky-Tac's slip on mag holders the best. Don't have to unthread to remove.

For Leather, I've used and like Leather Arsenal, Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Monte - Good choice of hardware. You'll love the TR Special. I've been carrying mine in a Galco Royal Guard that I have been using everyday for about the last 2 years. First with a full size Kimber and now with the TR Special. I'm also waiting delivery of a Milt Sparks Watch Six. From a design standpoint the Watch Six looks like it will be a better platform to carry a handgun. The belt loops are spaced further apart which looks like it will add to stability and concealability. I would look at http://www.miltsparks.com/ for a great selection of IWB holsters.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I carry my TRS in a Milt Sparks, heritage IWB.. I love the pistol and the holster.. The heritage has a thin water proof lining and a "cuff" that covers all of the slide that rests against your body.. This cuff, is better suited for a standard syle thumb saftey, but i hav`nt had any problems with it snagging, and i take comfort in the fact that im not sweating on my Pistola.. There are a few good holster makers out there, but Milt Sparks had what i wanted..
A Johnston put up there link already so give it a click and browse around.. -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
As everyone here has said, you made a great choice. You'll love that TRS. I have the blued and hard chrome both.

My holster of choice. Tough one. I carry the blued in a Mitch Rosen USD of cordovan and black shark trim. They look very nasty together, the Rosen looks as "all-business" as the TRS. And the function is great.

The hard chrome I carry in a special DelFatti with basketweave belt and matching IWB with basket weave and rough-out leather. I just got an OWB for classes to match as well. This is a design I found through Dane Burns' post. I don't know if Matt will do a basket weave, but it's a great outdoors, western look with jeans. And, like the Rosen, it performs great.

I'd also highly recommend Lou Alessi's holster for it. He's a craftsman and a gentleman. Great combination to deal with--and his gunleather is outstanding, I have one he made for me recently.

Between Rosen, DelFatti and Alessi, you can't go wrong. I like to have a different rig for dress pants and jeans.

Good luck with the TRS! And welcome to the family!

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Where to put it.......hummmmm.......lets see........
How about Osama Bin Laden's mouth!

Ybbeat

ps. welcome to the TRS Club!

[This message has been edited by ybbeat (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go to one of the custom makers and do it right. I've now had 400 rds. through it and the slide seems to be loosening up some, but from other posts it looks like 2000 rds. is the magic number. That will give me some time to get something made custom.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For casual attire, I tote my TRS around in an old-fashioned, well-worn Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB. I've tried numerous other IWB holsters (including others by Sparks) and like none better than the original SS.

For a traditional belt holster, I can recommend Kramer and Alessi from experience. Right now, I'm using an Alessi CQC/S (with snap belt loops for quick on and off) and am loving it. During the work week, I'm constantly taking my TRS off and on and the CQC/S makes this a snap (pun intended). I intend to write a review here soon. Lou Alessi really bends over backwards to make sure his customers are taken care of.

I had a chance recently to examine the Heinie/Alessi DOJ holster and one of those is definitely on my want list. It's similar in design to the Kramer Vertical Scabbard, which is also another top choice, IMO.

Although Kydex is highly practical, I still have a warm spot for well crafted leather! Leather will also be kinder to that lustrous blued finish on the TRS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mitch Rosen's work is beautiful and is used by pro's. I've been using his rigs for (10) years with great satisfaction.

Marty U.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. It is my favorite holster of all time, period. My hard chrome TRS loves it.

Bob

D

·
0 Posts
I second Marty's view. Mitch Rosen products are top of the line. I have one of his shoulder rigs for a compact 45 and it is extremely well made and comfortable.

The Wilson lo profile and tiger shark are two very fine OWB holsters.

I don't know if it's available for a full-size 45, but Kramer's IWB #2 is also a very good holster.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 (black horsehide) and it is extremely nice. When I wore it at the range, under jeans and a light sweatshirt, people I shoot with were asking where my TRS went. It is rather concealable in that fashion.

I did have to block it out though as described on the Milt Sparks web site.
http://www.miltsparks.com/Questions.htm

Regards,

B-Squared

[This message has been edited by B-Squared (edited 11-06-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts