1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Colt 1908 in .380 ACP nearly a year ago and had planned to send it to Bill Adair in early 2007 but never got around to it. After viewing a 1903 which was restored in another thread I decided it was time to send my Colt off to Mr. Adair. Unfortnately, Mr. Adair site says that he is backlogged 2 years and will put more emphasis into restoring 1911 than any other handgun.

Being the impatient person that I am, I am looking for recommendations on a gunsmith who can take on the job. Thanks for your recommendations and here's wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Here is a link to pictures of my Colt 1908
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=159492

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where can I purchase a replacement barrel for my Colt 1908?

I want to replace the barrel of my Colt 1908 in .380 ACP and possibly pick up a .32 ACP barrel as well (if it will fit). I saw that the Numrich site has barrels in stock but they list out two types of barrels - style A (no picture) and style B (picture of a barrel without the hump at the end). I am not sure if my barrel is style A or style B because it says the serial number for style A is from 105k to 572k. My Colt has a serial number of 59xxx but the barrel does not look like the style B barrel on the site.

Has anyone ever purchased one of Numrich's barrels? Is there any other place I can purchase one?

Here are some pictures of my barrel

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would also try Sarco in NJ.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
One type should be for (early) guns with barrel bushings, and the other, like yours, with the lug at the end. My catalog indicates you want type A. It appears that all Type A .380 barrels have the same extractor cut, so you shouldn't have to measure.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mac,

I had hoped to have Mr. Adair restore my 1903, but after 9 months of "check back in a month and we'll see how my backlog is" I decided to go elsewhere.

Dave Sams did the restoration on mine, and I couldn't be happier. Not sure if it's the one you were referring to, but here are a few before/after pics.

Any real reason to replace the barrel? It looks to be in OK shape, and if it shoots I'd leave it be... I've checked with Numrich, Popperts and Jack First and they are all out of .32 barrels.

Your 1908 looks to be in great shape; a new spring kit from Wolff, new grips and a refinish and you're all set. Best of luck with the build, and if you have any questions about Dave, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lindermant said:
Mac,

I had hoped to have Mr. Adair restore my 1903, but after 9 months of "check back in a month and we'll see how my backlog is" I decided to go elsewhere.

Dave Sams did the restoration on mine, and I couldn't be happier. Not sure if it's the one you were referring to, but here are a few before/after pics.

Any real reason to replace the barrel? It looks to be in OK shape, and if it shoots I'd leave it be... I've checked with Numrich, Popperts and Jack First and they are all out of .32 barrels.

Your 1908 looks to be in great shape; a new spring kit from Wolff, new grips and a refinish and you're all set. Best of luck with the build, and if you have any questions about Dave, feel free to PM me.
Tom your post is the one that made me decide to refurb my Colt. :rock: The reason I want to replace my barrel is because there is pitting in the barrel. It shoots fine but it might shoot better with a new barrel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dfariswheel said:
The top of the line in actual restoration work is Doug Turnbull.

He's researched all the old factory finishes and can apply the same bluing as originally used on the 1908 Colt:

http://turnbullrestoration.com/
If I read Mr Turnbull's site correctly, he charges +$1800 for a restoration on a 1911? I didn't realize that it would cost that much. Heck, I could buy a new (used) Colt in decent condition for less than $1800. Is this correct?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Depends on what you need done.
A period re-blue alone would cost much less than that.

For the straight story, I'd email them and ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts