1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be vacationing in southern Arizona for a little more than week starting the day after Christmas. (Two nights in Yuma, three nights in Tucson, and three nights just south of Phoenix). I would like to get a bit of range work in during the trip.

Most likely I won't have enough time in Yuma to get to a range, but I will have enought time in either the Tucson or Phoenix area, and would appreciate suggestions about indoor and outdoor ranges in those places.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Shooter's World is a decent indoor range in Phoenix (but this time of year you want to be outdoors)! They are just west of I-17 and Indian School Road. 602-266-2600

The Ben Avery range north of Phoenix (I-17/Carefree Hwy) is a real jewel. Several different ranges for every type of shooting.

East of Mesa is the Rio Salado club. This is a nice facility that hosts many large competitions.

The main question is this: WHO GOES TO YUMA ON VACATION?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm from Yuma, so I went down there for one day on my vacation around Thanksgiving...and the reason, besides showing my old high school and home to my wife, was to go to lunch at El Charro on 8th Street. If you've never been, you don't know what you are missing.:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
mmmmmmm....

Oh yeah - El Charro is the only reason Yuma hasn't been kicked out of AZ! Yeah, there are plenty of other ranges here.... just how far south of PHX will you be and how far are you willing to travel? From south PHX to Ben A is a LONG trip!

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Of course us locals take it for granted, but visiting members might enjoy the experience of "South Phoenix After Dark". Cruise around with your windows down and exchange friendly gun banter with the carfull of Lorcin lovers next to you!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Those guys down there with the Lorcins also like SKS's. Perhaps a discussion about whether they prefer the Eastern European SKS over the Chinese variety. They will also be more than happy to provide a practical demonstration of their shooting skills if you tell them that you are a member of Sheriff Joe Arpiao's Citizens' Posse.:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we are in Phoenix we will be staying at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort south of the city.

Geez, I thought Sheriff Joe had cleaned up the whole county. He sure talks tough.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work in Mexicali and Yuma isnt that far away any suggestions for Yuma ranges. Will check out El Charros while Iam there.

FR

·
Registered
70 Posts
While at El Charro's, my wife is very, very, very partial to the hot soft buttered flour tortillas. Also, their chile relleno's are awesome. But, just about anything on the menu is well worth having.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Mark...The Wild Horse Pass is deceptively far from most of the Phoenix ranges. By the time you fight your way in/out on I-10, you'll need a range to let off steam. You might be better off checking around Casa Grande. Anyone here know that area?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Mark,

In Tucson there are two indoor ranges and a number of outdoor ranges.

Indoor: Jensns' West on Prince Rd and the Marksman on 29th St.

Tucson Rifle Club's Three Points range has everything from 100 yd practice to 1000 yd competition with a Sillouette range in between.

North of town is Pima Pistol Club where most of the handgun competition takes place.

Southeast is a new range (the name of which I can't think of right now) on Valencia Rd.

The Tucson Rod & Gun Club range was closed by anti and never re-opened (lots of politics behind that).

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Pima pistol club in Tucson, nice range and on the weekends are generally shooting USPSA, IDPA, or Steel. South of Phoenix you might try the Phoenix Rod and Gun club, it's not far from wild horse pass, about 15 miles. For the best Mexican food in Phx, it's Los Dos Molinos. Just beware the salsa, it'll leave blisters.

Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, that's on the Indian Reservation isn't it? There may be legal issues with possesion of firearm on tribal land.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave T.,

Thanks for the info on the Tucson area ranges. Looks like there is a number of opportunities there.

pvgeltz,

Yes, I think that particular hotel is on reservation land. I'll check with them on any restrictions. (I do have a locked case for the gun, and they may want it checked in their hotel safe.)

·
Registered
529 Posts
ForceReaper said:
I work in Mexicali and Yuma isnt that far away any suggestions for Yuma ranges. Will check out El Charros while Iam there.

FR
I left Yuma about 8 years ago... At the time there was an open outdoor range off of Laguna Dam road. At least I think that is the road... It's been so long I can't really remember, but if things haven't changed too much I might be able to navigate myself there, should I ever find myself back there...

I think the range was around 500 yards long with an access road running the length of it. There was a large gong at the far end that was fun to ring.

Ahhh Yuma... Where my Cherokee earned the nickname "U-Boat" after an incident on the Colorado River :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's a range north of Yuma off of Hwy 95 going out towards Yuma Proving Grounds. The range is in Adair park.
US Highway 95 North
Between mile markers 40 and 41.
Yuma, Arizona 85364
520-726-0022
http://www.packing.org/range/range.jsp?g_range=184
If going north, it'll be on the left side of hwy 95.

·
Registered
529 Posts
MrBill2 said:
The range is in Adair park.
The location sounds about right for what I was thinking about, but I don't recall that range having all the features described on that web page. But heck, I guess after a few years it could have been expanded on ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts