1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading in the 05/06 edition of "The Complete Book of the 1911" and more recently the newest version of the annual Custom Combat Handguns, and it kinda made me wonder.
As advanced as the 1911's are today...with frame rails..scandium alloys...etc etc. Where to you think things would be today...if these current items were available in 1911???

We're rapidly closing in on a century with the gun we all love...I just wonder where it would be today if the technology today was available to Mr. Browning at the turn of the last century???

Just hypothecial thinking late at night.....

·
Administrator
79,271 Posts
I think the old salts back in 1911 would be asking you "what in tarnation would you want to hang a flashlight on the end of a pistol for?". :hrm:

Of course, back then the accepted way to fire a handgun was one-handed at arm's length. The idea that you could use your other hand too and increase accuracy took awhile for folks to figure out. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I think folks back then probably figured that, if you could use both hands, you ought to be using a rifle.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Seraph said:
I think folks back then probably figured that, if you could use both hands, you ought to be using a rifle.
I like that. I'm going to tell people that. thanks

·
Administrator
79,271 Posts
JTWard said:
Where would the 1911 be if the US Army had picked the Savage .45?
I'm betting it would've proved unsatisfactory during WW1, the US Army might have taken a look at the Hi-Power by WW2, and the rest would be history as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JMB would have the whole market

If you think about it, most modern day pistols are based off of some design of JMB. If you look at machine guns, it's incredible that the army is using machine guns from the 1920's.

If JMB had CAD, CNC, computers, etc, just think of what he could have come up with. Everything he did was with a piece of paper pencil. He machined all of the parts by hand.

If JMB had what we had today, I think we would have perfectly functioning pistols forever. JMB was a genius.

Lester

·
Registered
542 Posts
dsk said:
I think the old salts back in 1911 would be asking you "what in tarnation would you want to hang a flashlight on the end of a pistol for?". :hrm:
Of course, back then the accepted way to fire a handgun was one-handed at arm's length. The idea that you could use your other hand too and increase accuracy took awhile for folks to figure out. :scratch:
Well here's a old timer who thought it would be a good idea it's from about a 1912 popular science magazine. Seems like a lot of the stuff that's thought up now days was also considered by the old timers.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't honestly think "things" would be much different today.
Aside from "lighter frames(plastic)", there really isn't much new IMO.

If JMB were alive today, I think he'd be surprised at the lack of "advancement" in firearms today as compared to everything else that he would see...i.e. computers, electronics, cars, etc, etc. In fact, if he went to a pistol or shotgun match he'd see a lot of his designs, and they don't look much different(1911/Browning O/U).

Exception on optics, lasers, etc. I doubt hanging a flashlight on the bottom of his design would be considered a revelation.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Todd C said:
Did you look closely at the "Revolver" mentioned in the picture above? The press today would have called it an "Assault Weapon":biglaugh:
JTWard said:
I wonder what kind of revolver that is? It looks more like a side hammer percussion single shot, but the caption says revolver. I sure don't see a cylinder.

I guess even back then journalists had no more knowledge of guns than they do today!! :scratch:

Luke

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've had a few "lively discussions" along these lines with hard-core 1911 people that bash my Springfield Micro saying it is not a 1911. Well, it pretty much is except for the dual recoil spring assembly in place of the standard (should I say "original") short guide and plug set-up. The trigger, thumb- and grip-safety systems, etc. are the same, though upgraded: JMB would easily recognize the current crop of extended ambi-thumb safeties and beavertails, and skeltonized triggers and hammers as simple modifications of his originals-the internals haven't really changed.
This spring system was designed to improve reliability which is lost when you shrink the slide and cut the barrel down to 3". I tend to ask these people whether they think JMB would be sitting in the Colt factory cranking out mil-spec versions of his original design if he were alive today? I risk being burned at the stake when I suggest that himself may have come up with a similar spring design if lightness, compactness and concealability were the order of the day when he was designing handguns.

·
Registered
244 Posts
dsk said:

It didn't take long for the real gunfighters, who wanted to be old "real gunfighters". Two handed combat shooting is an old method.

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.