1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 52, eyes not what they used to be, shot 22 rifle as a teen weekly (NRA Distinguished). Now target shoot weekly with 9mm and .45. Would like to try something competitive but not where I'll get blown away with others with high investment weapons. I live in Charlotte NC and would like to do some competition for fun and try to get better. The ranges here don't seem to know much about competition. Any IDEAS ???

·
Registered
22,017 Posts
I shoot several events, but I am most active in IDPA. Your 9mm and .45 will put you right in the thick of things. If they function reliably and can hit an 8" center at 20 yards, you have nothing to worry about from more expensive gear. It is the Defensive pistol association, so you will need to draw, move, take cover, reload, and evaluate situations as well as fire the gun. I am 56, never had good eyes, and am not very limber or quick, but I have a good time with good people. If that appeals, check www.IDPA.com to read their material and look for the NC and SC clubs. Check with Frank Glover anyway, at Oxford he is not near you but he is one of the top Match Directors in the country and can likely steer you to local outfits not on the www list.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Check and see if there's any USPSA matches in your area. If so take the 45 and compete in limited 10 division or production division I think you will have a good time.
Check out www.uspsa.org web site and it will explain the rules and divisions. I might add that I'm 53 and just started shooting USPSA and my only complaint is I wish I had started this twenty years ago.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am 54 and just started handgun shooting
earlier this year. I finally got the nerve
to join 'competitive' groups..

I have met some of the greatest, most helpful people at the two events I have just
recently attended. I kinda dove into some
very deep water for my first outing, but, I
now have invitations to shoot with several IDPA groups around the state...

Please check my replies under FloridaSingleStackClassic a few posts down from this one ... ( Oh, I finished 101 out of 113 and am quite happy with that score )

I don't shoot that well, but have been getting a lot of good assistance and advice..

Best

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't let the word "competition" get in your way. We only call it that because we keep score. One of the best tactical shooters I know has never won a match (usually comes in last) because he takes the time to do things correctly and carefully. EVERYONE admires his work!

Don't wait until you think you are "ready" to compete. Be like Nike, just do it. If you get spanked at first then you are just like the rest of us. You'll get better as you learn the ropes.

Mikey

·
Registered
691 Posts
Another fun activity is to join a "bowling league". I was part of one that shoots bowling pins every week. It was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'll second the post on pin shooting. I'm kind of semi retired from pin shooting since most of the pin shoots seem to be getting smaller and its so far to travel to get to a major shoot. In its day when the Nationals was going on at Waterloo Iowa it was a blast. Be aware that at the larger shoots your entry fee for your main event and your optional events can run anywhere from two to six hundred dollars depending on how many optionals you shoot. I'm planing on puting on some endurance type pin shoots on our range and the shooter will shoot a 152 pin total for just one entry fee( were going to try and keep it at $60.00 for the smaller shoots with a 60% cash pay back) I'll post how things work out after we have our first shoot.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a guy who evidently shoots many of his IDPA matches with a cheap 1911 to practice jams ftf's, etc. He rarely shoots his 'carry gun' at monthly matches.

There is no one right way

Regards

<>><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Mikey :"Don't let the word "competition" get in your way. We only call it that because we keep score. One of the best tactical shooters I know has never won a match (usually comes in last) because he takes the time to do things correctly and carefully. EVERYONE admires his work!"

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
Last Fathers day I got my dad a STI Edge for a gift and my mom got him all the leather.

He is 64 and now we get to spend weekends together shooting IPSC and varmint hunting. When the weather is crappy, we cast bullets.

He was real intimidated by IPSC and IDPA. Now he enjoys it.

The learning curve is steep. Get out there and have some fun. If it’s not fun, try some other shooting sport.

Good luck to you.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
769 Posts
Mikey, I have to believe you are referring to the man formerly known as the "Tactical Ponytail". It's always an honor and privledge to squad with the man with the highest time and often the most accurate shooter. It was worth the price of admission to watch the faces of the SO's at the nationals not to mention the round that was put into hard cover.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mayonaise (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started competing in USPSA about a month ago, I've shot in 3 matches so far. I echo what others have said, I've met some of the nicest, most helpful people ever! I'm hooked on it, not scoring well yet, but, it is forcing me to shoot twice a month, it's forcing me to get better, and it's forcing to do it all safely! You can't ask for more than that. Also, it really is only called "competitive shooting" since someone keeps score.

Good Luck!
Charles

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
Mikey:
Were you referring to me? I am THE MOST TACTICAL RANGE PIMP!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
You would be surprised at how people I have heard say "I need to practice some before I go out there." That's BS. You and I are both past middle age, how many 90+ year people do you know, and it is time to just do it. I started shooting IDPA three years ago. Like Bob said, wished I had done it or something like it a lot sooner.

Call them up, find out when they are shooting, and get there. You will meet some of the finest people I know. You will have fun.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
605 Posts
No, Ricky, I didn't mean you

I was referring to Eric - his times are higher because he is methodical and careful (and accurate), not just because he is SLOW (like some not-to-be-mentioned Range Pimps)
But at least you are modest about your prowess as a Tactical Stealth Ninja

Mikey

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Hey, quit pickin' on Ricky T. He's batting .500. The MOST Range Pimp yes, Tactical, ahhhh, no.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey WA2EDN, IIRC the closest IDPA to you is up near Asheville or down in south carolina. Both over an hour away. I think there is a cowboy match near the airport, but I"m not sure. Try the idpa.com page, but 'm pretty certian there is nothing within easy reach. LAter.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey:
No, Ricky, I didn't mean you

I was referring to Eric - his times are higher because he is methodical and careful (and accurate), not just because he is SLOW (like some not-to-be-mentioned Range Pimps)
But at least you are modest about your prowess as a Tactical Stealth Ninja

Mikey

Eric is the former "Tactical Ponytail". Ask Myron about how Eric did on his stage. Referring to the old hole in the barrel trick.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
Mikey,
I showed my Range Pimp setup to the "Tactical Dalai Lama" (you know who he is, and he ain't the ponytail kid) tonight and he approved of the Parade and Barbecue gun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
WA2EDN,

I think you got some good advice before the thread wandered....but I did want to add two cents (or dime) on your concern about being "blown away with others with high investment weapons".

I don't know what kind of guns you bought, but chances are that wherever you show up to play, some hotshot that's just eat up with the sport will have spent more than you on his/her equipment.

This would be true in a Bowling League, the Racketball court, the Pool Hall, a Demolishion Derby, the Photography club, and certainly any shooting sport where more than two competitors meet to play the game.

I'll go further to say that unless more than one newby shows up on that particular day, you will probably be dead last by a huge margin when the scores are posted.

Now, let me make it crystal clear that if you show up on my range for a match, particulary with a box-stock gun, a couple of fresh boxes of store-bought ammo, and some version of an "Uncle Mike's" holster, I will be the first one to greet you, make you feel welcome, ensure you understand the safety rules, and do anything else I can to make sure you have fun. I will do this at the sacrifice of my own game for that day and every day a newbie shows up.

However, with all affection and candor, there is no competition available for you if a prerequisite is that you won't "get blown away with others with high investment weapons".

They will beat you primarily with skill and talent, but they will have invested much treasure in having the fastest, most accurate, consistent, and reliable equipment the rules allow.

Even in "box stock" competition, at regional, national and international levels, the factory sponsored shooters will have "hand-selected" "factory" guns and the wildcats will have purchased 10 guns or more over the counter to find "The One" that suits them. These competitors will leave nothing to chance. They all have to practice somewhere.

I started playing these games about 10 years ago; first with shotgun and now with pistol and rifle over the past 4-5 years. I know where you're coming from and so do almost all of the competitors in the various games. Unless you are a safety hazard, all of the competitors will welcome you.

Your job will be to get your mind right and realize that some pre-teen with an Open or Limited Class gun is going to kick your butt on any given day; now and for the foreseeable future. You won't be shooting against them, because you'll be in a different Divison and Class, but you'll have to see their names at the top before you find your name at the bottom.

I speak from experience. I started "late" in the game, but I was pretty dern sure I could outshoot the average Joe any day. I was positive I could be competetive in a fair competition in any case.

Well, let me tell you, I found out that the general gun owning/shooting public (me when I started for example) has no concept of what is possible with proper skills and equipment development.

The Open Class talent even at local matches will boggle the mind. It's kinda like showing up at a drag race with your new factory Hot Rod and seeing a Top Fuel dragster run for the first time; it is surreal. Even a brand new showroom Musclecar looks like a dog. But that's not your Division, so don't worry about it, just enjoy the show.

The great thing is that if you can get into the right attitude, this sport will open up to you and welcome you as a full fledged participant. You will then have the opportunity to develop your skills to the limits of your natural talent; and if you are so inclined, you can learn what equipment is worth paying hard-earned cash for and what junk is best left to the Drug Store gunslingers.

But at first your scores will suck and you'll feel like a foolish old man making a spectacle of himself. Join the Club. Keep your mind right and someone like me will be there for you with a friendly smile, a clap on the back, some advice and encouragement and maybe some ribbing about how long it took you to realize your gun was empty.

Within a couple of years your scores will be respectable and you may even be contemplating the purchase of a proper race gun. You will be amazed at how far you've come and how far you can go. Look over your shoulder and see a stranger standing there with a box-stock gun, a couple of fresh boxes of store-bought ammo, and some version of an "Uncle Mike's" holster.

Be the first one to say "Hi".

·
Registered
67 Posts
wa2edn.
I must comment on WalterMitty's reply.
I believe IPSC shooting is as much a competition of gun design as it is of the shooter. It is not what I am currently seeking....

Try IDPA - any ole stock gun of good quality can put you in first place and you will not feel 'blown away' even if you finish last - as I am currently finishing ......

With IDPA, it is a requirement that typical
carry guns and holsters be used, NOT race
equipment.

Enjoy !!

[This message has been edited by SouthGun (edited 11-11-2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts