1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy wanted me to "try" and detail strip his hp and boy was it fun.

it was my first time with this type of gun and i'm thinking it'll be the last. i did manage to get it back together w/o scratching it, so for that, i'm proud.
it was a real PIA to get the sear back in while holding that darned hammer back. any easier ways to do it? i think that if i make another attempt, my thumb will curl up and not come out.thanks.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have found that using clothes pins as a third hand helps somewhat, particularly when holding back the sear spring when installing the sear and pin.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Yup, simple yet difficult. While it doesn't hold the hammer all the way back, the following does make it quite easy to get the sear back in. I'm not sure which size punch, but it needs to go through the grip screw holes in the frame:

Hold the hammer back a bit and being sure that the flat sear spring's in place, insert a punch through the grip screw holes. This holds the sear spring in place and there is enough tension removed that the sear can be pressed into place leaving a hand free to insert the pin.

Best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts