1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the topic of what classes are available has been beaten to death. I have a more specific question. Which of the face to face training classes have you had experience with and which one would you recommend? I'm leaning toward either Bob Rodger's class or the Cylinder & Slide class? Any thoughts? I would especially like to hear the thoughts of anyone who has attended them.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
You can read my account of Bob Rodgers' class earlier this year here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=229119&highlight=build

If you read it all the way through, you will get additional insights from other attendees and Bob himself.

This thread will show you some of the guns that left Arkansas at the end of the class: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=229933&highlight=honor

I have no experience with the C&S class, but can recommend Bob's class without qualification - it was a once-in-a-lifetime treat for me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rodger's class will cost you far less in terms of tools. Bob knows most of the students will not take up gunsmithing as a profession so goes easy on your pocketbook. Plus you have the use of his personal tools and shop tools. My tool kit is always greater after the classs. :)

I can not speak about the C&s class but I have taken a few others and Rodgers' is the best on knowledge learned, quality of the finished product and having a great time. An added benefit is you get to drive Bob nuts. :)

be safe irv

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got a chance to speak with Bob Rodgers this week. He was a great guy to talk to and I have no doubt he has the proper disposition to make a great teacher. One of things that suprised me is the amount of prep work he has to go thru to get ready for a class and make sure that his students get a quality learning experience. Since he also has a custom pistolsmithing business to run with customers anxious to receive their guns back it makes the amount of time he puts into preparing and giving the class even more impressive. He hasn't decided on dates for the April 2010 class yet but will likely have more information in November of this year.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Without a doubt the Bob Rodgers class is a great opportunity to learn from one of the great pistolsmiths of our time. I can highly recommend it. You can't ask for a better way to spend a little vacation time away from the day job and the day to day grind. The setting in the Arkansas hills is just beautiful, and Bob and Sandy are gracious hosts, you wont meet nicer people. The friendships you'll make and the fun you'll have during the class will last you a lifetime. Spending a week with like minded people enjoying a week of hard work and comradery while building a custom 1911, what could be better than that?? :):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts