1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some nice 1911's with less than 500 rounds thru them...and they are really pretty, dependable, and accurate but my favorite is a Blue Les Bair C7 with more than 2500 rounds thru it...it is scratched up and faded from sweat. I did add some Hogue Pau Ferro grips to it...and I got to admit it is my favorite...some of the others are worth more and newer but maybe I am just attracted to "old beaters"...

Anyone else favor a more used 1911 in your collection?

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
A 1942 built Ithaca that has been reblued twice since I got it. I had the foregrip stippled and S&W K-frame sights added. Wide spur hammer, wide, flat grip safety and long thumb safety. It was my duty pistol with my first PD. I used it on occassion with my seond dept. when we traded in our just fine S&W M-66's for new S&W M-66's that did not arrive when they were promised (we did that twice).

It was my almost constant companion from '64 -'65 until I peened the slide locking lugs to death after 400,000 + rounds. I have a new slide I need to have sights installed on and then a barrel fit to one of these days.

It did it's job well one dark, cold January night when I was attacked.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Too many kids. Love 'em all.
OK dsk, here's a scenario for you: if there was a fire or flood in your house, and you could only grab one 1911, which one would it be?

(I guess this scenario only works if you don't think of them as your kids, which may be impossible!
)

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
I'd probably die trying to save 'em all.

No, I'd just find the inner strength in me to heft the safe onto my back and lug it out of there. One of those adrenaline kinda scenarios.

Well, just for the sake of argument I AM kinda partial to my late '43 Colt, only because I shot it a couple times and found it shoots just as good as it looks. If I eventually find the ideal "safe queen" (an early war Colt) to keep I might just say to hellwithut and make it a shooter.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
870 Posts
That's kinda like asking which one of my ex's I would select to be buried next to. I guess I'd have to say my next one is my favorite.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My favorite gun (possibly one of my favorite possessions)is my Remington Rand 1911A1 because it was owned by my dad. I inherited when he died a few years ago. It was one of his favorite "things" he owned. He used to show me how to shoot, and field strip it when I was but a little kid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Without a doubt its the ... pre-war 38 Super; OR, the 1914 Government; OR the 1951 LW Commander 9MM; OR the 1943 Colt; OR the '57 National Match - AHH HECK - easy to consider, tough to choose!

Roger D

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
As of today, I own 36 1911's, by the end of the month I will have another 3 added. I have 2 Wilson CQB's, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Springfield, Colt, Auto Ordnance, Essex, Caspian, Rock River Arms, Llama, Charles Daly, Rock Island Arsenal, Safari Arms. The best however??? Ithaca from WWII. It shakes, rattles and makes all kind of strange noise when shaken but it will hit point of aim at 25yds and further. It now sports a Wilson Armor-Tuff finish but is otherwise stock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Colt 1911 made in 1950. Still completely stock with that deep blue finish that goes on forever. Smooth, accurate, flat beautiful. I am fond of my 1943 GI and my later series Colt 1911s, but this is my hands down favorite. Now that I am finished with this reply I absolutely have to go pull it out of the safe and admire it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have several 1911 style firearms that I enjoy shooting, but the one that is my favorite is a Colt Gold Cup National Match that was a Series 80 when I first purchased in the early 80's. I had it rebuilt a year ago by 1911 Heaven with all Ed Brown parts and has become even more enjoyable to shoot.

TC

------------------
US Army (SFC) Disabled Veteran
Life Member Disabled American Veterans (DAV)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Whichever Wilson or Brown I happen to be shooting or handling!

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I'd have to say that the 10 year old three digit ser. no. Les Baer that was built at their old Rock Island location is my favorite. The 1 1/2" guarantee was only $50 extra then! Butter smooth & still just as accurate after thousands of rounds.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
187 Posts
My unfired (soon to be fired!) series 70. I put ivory grips on it yesterday and today I am going to work up some lead loads so I can use it next month at a Cowboy Action Shoot that is having a "Wild Bunch" category.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'd say my 70 series GC.It's an easy 98%er and bought it cheap with box and papers.My Cassavant 1911 (real 1911,not A1) is right up there though.It's not pretty on cosmetics,but this is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts