1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have beem looking around for a full size 1911 for concealed carry and have narrowed it down to 2 guns.A Colt 1991A1 and a SA Loaded(PX9151L).They are both $700 and both stainless.My dilemma is that the SA comes with all the features I'm looking for right out of the box and the Colt would have to go to a smith to have the accessories that the SA already has put on it.I know they are both great guns, but I'm also looking for something I could pass down to my kids as well as reliable with self defense loads.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Get the Springfield. I bought one because:
A) The company has a great reputation
B) No major QC issues--and any problems people have get fixed right away
C) It has everything I want--no need to mess with it
D) Great gun out of the box--well suited for carry and defense.
C) Colt, Springfield, Kimber, etc. guns will last forever--just treat them right.

Billy Ray

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
What about Para Ordnance? P14-45 Limited has hi-cap mag, and all the bells and whistles that the SA loaded has...(adjustable sights, duck-tail grip safety, ambi-safety, match grade barrel, factory tuned trigger...)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Para's are OK, but I have heard too many stories of unreliability of the mags, otherwise the used P10-45 in the gunstores case would be gone by now!

Besides, who wants a fat 1911 with expensive mags!

------------------
Have you Nuked a Hampster Today??
www.joecartoon.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't know if this is of interest. But Jersey City Armory advertises the new stainless for $620. Even paying shipping and transfer fee you can buy a few extra bullets and still get under $700.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by viper45:
Para's are OK, but I have heard too many stories of unreliability of the mags, otherwise the used P10-45 in the gunstores case would be gone by now!

Besides, who wants a fat 1911 with expensive mags!

Oh man, dem's fightin' words
. Para DID have a problem years ago with double stack unreliability. This is a non-issue now - Para has long since improved functionality - unfortunately many people still have this misconception about Para's mags.

Besides...fat = more rounds = more at ease. (for me!
)

No argument on the expensive magazine part, however!

Just teasin' ya. If your mind is set on Colt or SA, more power to you.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a PO P-12-.45 It was the first 1911 I have owned.It's a great gun and has never had any problems, but I would prefer a thinner grip for concealed carry.I carry my P-12 right now but not too crazy about the fat grip.It's ok for now but not as concealable in the summer.As for buying online, I live in MA and anything made after 10/98 would not be legal.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm pondering a similar decision with a different size gun in mind. After doing a good bit of research, I will probably end up purchasing a SA Ultra Compact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been told that Kimbers have much tighter tolerences than Springfields and Colts..thus no matter if you are going to carry it right off, or get it customized, I would opt to go with Kimber. Colts shoot like crap out of the box, in my experience, and Springfields can cut your hands easily..they don't really "dehorn" their pistols as much. But Kimbers are both accurate and very dehorned/rounded off.

Kimber has really taken off these past few years..why do you think its the most popular selling mass-production 1911 in the world today? And they have only been doing this for a few years..

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Originally posted by Jim.45:
I have been told that Kimbers have much tighter tolerences than Springfields and Colts
Is that a good thing? The tighter the tolerance, the greater likelihood of experiencing feeding problems, at least until the gun is broken in.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Pirate, I would go with the Colt. My '91A1 is for carry, and it goes BANG each time I pull the trigger. There are many who will disagree with me on this, but I like the idea of the firing pin safety on the new Colts. IMO, this feature has not adversely affected the trigger pull, and it offers me a little extra sense of security as I carry cocked and locked. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by traevin:
Is that a good thing? The tighter the tolerance, the greater likelihood of experiencing feeding problems, at least until the gun is broken in.

My understanding is that reasonably tight tolerance in a gun should not affect feeding problems unless there is a design or fitting flaw in the pistol itself. Look at Baer pistols - those things are so tight that it takes 2 ppl to rack the slide when new..but i hear that they are pretty reliable as well, right out of the box.

Whether it be Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or Baer, they are all pistols, which will eventually loosen up after time, and after being broken in. What I was claiming was that I was told that Kimbers hold their accuracy a little better than Colts and Springfields over long periods of time.

-Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually almost all handguns built after 10/98 are illegal in MA.There are a handful of new handguns that can be sold now.None of them being a 1911 style.The Colt and SA are new but made prior to 1998 and are at a local shop.New 1911's are very hard to come by in this state,I'm lucky to find these 2.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The Colt will do anything you need to do just fine, and make a much better heirloom for your kids. The only way the clones could compete with Colt was to add those "gunsmith" features as standard - and that is a legitimate thing to consider. The problem is that many of these "addded features" are cheap MIM parts with an uncertain lifespan. You still get what you pay for - and owning a Colt is worth it's cost.

The biggest physical complaint I have with current Springfields is the blocky grip profile - which I find downright uncomfortable. I really, really don't care for it being "made in Brazil" either.

Both Kimber and Springfield have produced many of what some of us think are overly tight "range bag" guns, that don't always run 100%. If the Springfield in question feels too "stiff" in operation, pass on it on general principal. The other common lack - no firing pin lock (Series 80) safety. If you will never carry the gun, it doesn't matter, but again, some of us find it a comforting feature in a gun that spends many hours with the muzzle against our body!

Whatever you decide - it sounds like you might want to jump on it! Sorry to hear about the sorry legal situation there. Warmly, Col. Colt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts