1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Sondre and thank you for a great forum.
Living in Norway, my choices in 1911 brands is minimal.
I usually shoot glocks and cz.

I am looking for two identical 1911 for competition and fun for me and my wife.
It has to be reliable.
It has to have a light rail.
I was planning on a budget of 2x1500USD not including mags, and acc.

I have been looking at the STI Duty one 5.0. it has a norwegian importer.
I have also been looking at the Springfield operator. but it has no importer.

Which one would you recomend?

Best regards
Sondre

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
the one's that are available
I owned a Springfield Operator , but not the STI.
(but know lots of competition shooters that shoot STI)

The Springer Operator i owned was a great pistol.
and from my comp shooting friends/acquaintances that run STI pistols, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those either

I;d choose the one that your local supplier will support ..therefore, go STI

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi my name is Sondre and thank you for a great forum.
Living in Norway, my choices in 1911 brands is minimal.
I usually shoot glocks and cz.

I am looking for two identical 1911 for competition and fun for me and my wife.
It has to be reliable.
It has to have a light rail.
I was planning on a budget of 2x1500USD not including mags, and acc.

I have been looking at the STI Duty one 5.0. it has a norwegian importer.
I have also been looking at the Springfield operator. but it has no importer.

Best regards
Sondre
Hmmm; I'm kind of like you. I always want what I can't get. Both are fine pistols, but the hard to get Springfield would be special.

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will not go wrong with the STI. Much more attention to detail than the other. Very popular with the sports shooters here. What does a Glock cost you in American dollars over there? I have several pairs of 1911 grips from Hakan Pek in Norway. I have never seen better wood grips anywhere else. He is amazing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If this is for competition, I suggest you get the STI double stack, like the Edge, and in .40. Oh what a pleasure to shoot that gun is!

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
STI Duty One for competition

The Duty One sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. However, you may be able to order with some custom options.

You didn't say what type of competition you plan to shoot. If it is for action shooting games like IDPA and IPSC, you want to make sure the gun is legal for the particular sport you have in mind. For example, the Duty One uses a ramped bull barrel, which is not allowed in the USA for IDPA. Depending on the sport you plan to participate in, it is offered in 9mm, .40, and .45acp. You may be able to order the gun with options, so you might be able to get a ramped barrel that uses a bushing system instead of a bull barrel if that is desired.

Depending on which sport, when it comes to actions shooting, I like an adj. rear sight (Bo-mar style) with a dovetailed Fiber Optic front sight with the blade is no wider than .120". The Duty One has a Heinie fixed rear sight and a ramped front sight....you may be able to order them with your preferred sights.

STI makes excellent guns, and they have a lifetime warranty on the gun, even if you buy one used.....if there is a factory issue with the gun, they will fix it free!

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Economical Option

An economical yet still a very good pistol is the STI Spartan 5, which is both IDPA and USPSA approved. It is offered in 9mm and .45acp and retails for roughly $735. It does not have a light rail, however, Novak makes a light rail mount that attaches to the frame with three hex head screws, and is only 1/4 inch in depth, so it will still work with holsters designed for guns with lights attached. It is offered in blue steel and also aluminum and retails for roughly $60.00. You can review the Novak light rail mount at:

www.brownells.com

If you can drill and tap for the three screws, it is a good option. This would bring the gun to a cost of roughly $800, with money to spare for extra magazines and any other options. The Spartan 5 comes with a Parkerized finish, which is like a dull matte surface, but you might be able to upgrade and order it with a better finish, or even a hard chrome finish. A hard chrome finish is much more durable and usually runs about $300. This would bring the cost of one gun to $1,100, not including any upcharges from your distributor. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
STI it is then;-)...A glock is running at around 1050USD in norway:-(
I've been researching STI lately and everything I've read about them has impressed me. I will probably order one of their commander-sized pistols for carry. That price for a Glock in Norway isn't too surprising considering the exchange rate between the US dollar and the Norwegian krone. A beer cost me $7US in Oslo. But one thing is for sure: your fjords are beautiful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have fired and handled both, I prefer the Springfield as I am biased there, but to be honest if I put a blindfold on I would not of been able to tell the difference. Can't go wrong with either one. Go with what you can get and what you can get serviced if needed..

shoot straight and shoot often

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
STI it is then;-)
I bought a stock STI Eagle in 1994. Shot it quite a bit in competition, for a few years, until I had an STI Custom built. The original became my back up gun. The gun still runs fine after many thousands of rounds and mnay more dry firings.

I have three STI's and zero Springfield's. That's not to say SA builds a bad gun, just never really appealed to me with the other choices available.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts