13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase a new 1911 in the $1500 - $2000
range. I'm considering the following guns:

Les Baer Thunder Ranch
Wilson CQB
Kimber Super Match II
S&W 945

I already have a Para Companion that I use for my main carry gun, and a SW1911 (as far as 45's go).

I know the 945 is not a "real" 1911, but I have read many good things about them. I have also dealt with S&W's Performance Center, and their workmanship and customer service is first rate.

This gun is going to be a gift from my wife for my birthday - so she wants me to keep this one <g>.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Go with one of the two classics...the CQB or the TRS. You will be delighted with either, just choose the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am with AZ on this one. Wilson, Brown, or Baer would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You should also look at the Rock River's in that price range. They make as nice a product as anyone (actually better :>...). They Baer's are nice too though. I'm not giving up my Baer or my RRA.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Colt Gunsite Pistol. Mine has 900+ rds w/o any malfunctions of any kind . Changed the grips and trigger for personal preference not reliability reasons. Would and do bet my life on it. Has shot factory and handloads from 185's to 255's without hesitation. Will be be my everything gun-fun, competition, practice and self defense gun. Doesn't get any better than this. Tracy:D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm selling my Kimber so I can get another 945. This Smith is like a Dorito, you can't have just one!

My current 945 is a 3.75 inch alloy job. I use it as a game gun and it keeps pace with full sized 1911s. My next one will be the full sized big brother with the new wavy line serrations and the Black Magic finish (similar to a Kimber Eclipse)

You can really see where your money went with this pistol.
Ramped bbl
Performance Center tuned action
Precision titanium bushing coupled with alot of slide to frame rail contact for great accuracy
Extra doodads like checkering, sculpted slide with the 945 only "serrations", Wilson barn door rear sight, ext mag release, ambi safety.
NO cheezwhiz plastic parts!
Lifetime Warranty

You won't regret getting a 945!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback.
I made a trip to a local dealer that carries both Wilsons and Baers.
I checked out the CQB's, along with the TRS, a Premier II, and a Super-Tac.

They also have a used SDS that was taken in on trade towards a full size Wilson after the owner put 100 rounds through it - didn't like the recoil. I'm considering that as well.

I have to say I'm a little concerned about Les Baer customer service after reading through many posts on this forum. It appears that Wilson excels in that area, however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm down to two pistols, a new Les Baer Concept VII or a slightly used Wilson Stealth. The Wilson is considerably more than the Baer (Stealth is $700 more)

If anyone has any experience with either of these pistols, or any opinions in general about them, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts