1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot a number of 1911s over the years but am just now planning to purchase my own. Interests for use: IDPA, target, CCW. I currently carry a Glock 26 and that's fine for me. However, if I begin doing IDPA, I really want to use a 1911. My question: Do I go with a full frame (5" barrel) 1911, or should I settle for a compact that I could also use for concealed carry? What are the pros/cons of full-size 1911 -vs- compact? Also, any suggestions on make/model.

Thanks Much!!!
Randy

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I would recommend a full size gun. It is not that much harder to conceal and is better for competition.Make and model?,buy the best gun you can afford.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What Eljay said.You have to remember that the shorter the barrel/slide gets,the more chance you have for reliability probs.They can be fixed of course,but it will add to the cost of the initial purchase.A 5" or Commander is 'usually' the ticket,and aren't hard to conceal if you're not small statured.I tend to lean toward older Colts,unless you have the money for a custom.I don't think much of Springfields or Kimbers,although others have good luck with them.If it came down to the 2,I'd go top of the line Kimber though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The only 1991 manufacturer is Colt, so that would make Colt the best 1991 for you.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Been carrying a 1911 for 20+ years and these guys are right. It is no harder to carry a full size IWB than it is to carry a compact in an IWB.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
How well do you shoot your G26? I find that, strangely enough, I handle it much better than I do my G17.

Of course, there is nothing to compare to a full-sized 1911, but they are sometimes a bit difficult to conceal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like the Commander Sized 1911s.

The Full-Size grip frame allows a better purchase, and the 4.25 Barrel allows for a decent CQB Sight Picture.

Although, Some say reliability is compromised w/anything other than 5".

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
7 Posts
For carry I have a Kimber Ultra CDP.
Have gone thru a few action pistol courses with it and done well, but have a better point score with my full size Kimber.
I have carried both without incident.
If I had to pick only one it would be the full size as I can shoot it more comfortably for longer periods of time.The compact kicks enough to get your attention, but not so much as to spoil a second shot.
Just to add to your list... I shoot my full size the most but I enjoy shooting the compact more, feels great in my hand.
Near has I can tell it is not possable to own only one 1911 but I wish you luck in your choice.

640tcu

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You may want to look an an Ed Brown Bobtail in either a commander or government size, Kobra or Class A Limited. The grip treatment really enhances concealed carry of the gun. They are extremely good guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input. It's going to be a tough decission. Looks like I will end up with two 1911s at some point. My wife is going to kill me.

Oh ... Sistema1927, I love my G26. It's a real sweat machine and I shoot very well with it. Very comfortable to carry anywhere. I do shoot much better with a 1911 though. I use to be somewhat against them (Didn't have to good of experience with them in the military). Then a few years ago, a firend "forced" me to try his 1911, and WOW, I was hooked. I've put it off long enough. I've got to get me one soon.

I look forward to being apart of these forums in the future. Happy Shooting! DrDoid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts