1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
For social occasions, my favorite is my M1A. My AR10 has its good points. My FAL is durable and lots of folks will say it's the best, but the receiver is way, way too long, and the balance is all off.

For hunting, I'd take a bolt gun over a semi any day, mainly for weight savings.

M1911

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Depend what you want to do. I prefer a bolt action, 24-26" heavy barrelled Remington 700. 4.5-14 Leupold tactical scope. If your looking for maximum accuracy get a bolt action. Fire power, get a semi. I'm very narrow minded, 1911's and Remington 700, .308's. Although if I was to get a semi auto it would be a Springfield M1A.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you want a military-style semiauto, go with a FAL. If you have beaucoup dollars, get an original Belgian, if you want to chop a grand off that, get a new DSA.
If you are on a budget, get one of the IAI all-Imbel guns for about $750.
Mags are under $10 each, spare parts and accessories are plentiful. The gun is incredibly simple to field strip and maintain, very reliable and very ergonomic and fun to shoot.
The only bad thing about the FAL is its rear sight isn't as good as the M1A's. Never bothered me, but if it bothers you you can easily mount a red dot sight or tactical scope on one of the many scope mounts available for the gun.
I also have an M1A and it is a nice gun, but mags are very expensive and the gun is very complicated to disassemble.
Also have had a HK91 since 94, and while it is incredible reliable and durable, it is not as naturally balanced as the other two guns and has a crappy trigger unless you invest in a PSG1 trigger pack. It is also very very expensive if you get an original HK. The only clone gun I would look at is the CETME that AIM Surplus is selling for $500. They also have mags for $18 right now. Not a GREAT gun, but a great buy for that money.

------------------
We are Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The AR10 is a super gun, but so is the FN FAL. Magazines are much cheaper and more available for the FAL. Both are capable of excellent accuracy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rifles are even more mission specific than pistols as the range of engagement can be much greater. .308 is a good chambering,and is available in any kind of platform from cqb to sniper/tactical outfits.A "scout rifle" type of arangement is very versatile and can be had commercially in bolt action or semi-auto configuration.People have a tendency to buy long heavy barrels beause they "need" them and in the process end up with a heavy ungainly unit which hampers mobility,when in actuality a 20" tube will provide adequate ballistics inside of 600yds and is much handier to use.As is the case with most guns picking a caliber/chambering is the easy part.....choosing the platform from which to launch it is another story all together.

·
Registered
737 Posts
In my opinion go with a Remington 700 PSS. Put your choice of Leupold tactical scope on it and you are set. You will have to spend a lot more money to even slightly out perform this setup.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Here's a list of potentials in no particular order, in a variety of price ranges. One of these guns will suit your needs, so do some research.

Remington 700
Stoner SR-25
FAL
HK91/PSG1
Galil
Armalite AR-10
Steyr Scout
Accuracy International

·
Registered
523 Posts
My vote goes to the Remington 700 or the Winchester 70. If it is good enough for the Marines in Vietnam through today, it is good enough for me!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have Rem 700 PSS in 26" barrel, topped with Leupold M1 3.5x10 LR tactical. Its accuracy is about 1/2-3/4" out of the box. Very good balance rifle.

I also have HK SR9T which I don't shoot much since it takes longer to clean after the shooting session. Acurracy is about 1 MOA, but never tried over 100 M. range.

If I want another one, I'd pick M1A. It's supposed to be the best of all competition rifles. Thks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want a "fun gun" in 308, get a FAL

Cheap mags ($7-$10 each), adjustable gas system, easy to strip and clean, recoils like a 22, cheap replacement parts. Need I say more ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do. I wanted a .308 that would be as accurate as possible while keeping the costs down. I went with a Remington LTR that I picked up for around $750. I put on a Leupold Mark IV that I got for $450 and I was ready to go. I have sub-MOA at 300 yards.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I thought it stood for Police Sniper System? I had a camo PSS that I should have never sold but the guy who bought it made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The main difference is the finish (all dull black including bolt) and the stock.

The VS gets the Remington synthetic stock instead of the H-S.

I could be wrong about the meaning of PSS (Purty snazzy shooter?) - they SHOOT!

Hoplite out of Kentucky has them at a fair price.

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
The VS and the PSS are mechanicaly identical.PSS is parkerized,VS is beadblasted and blued.Both use HS Precision stocks of slightly different designs(you should try both before buying) and are excellent quality.Triggers on all 700's are adjustable(this should be done by a qualified individual).VS=$550 +/- PSS=$750 +/-.Want to know more of these rigs spend some time at www.snipercountry.com look in the archives and you will find out more than you want to know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts