1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a S&W 686 or a Taurus M66 The Smith has a 6" barrel and the Taurus has a 4" it will be mostly for Range use. and the Taurus is also about 130.00 cheaper. Like both dont really know which one to get.. Any Help or comments would be appreciated.. Might even consider a Ruger GP100 I heard they are built like tanks..

Thanks

------------------
shooter.batcave.net

[This message has been edited by shooter45 (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd have to go with the 686, in spite of the fact that I've taken a blood oath not to buy products from 'That Company' any more! At least they're US made.

The Taurus is an OK gun, and will do the job, but can't compare in quality, accuracy, or resale value with the 686. Alyhough some Taurus fans will undoubtably argue my point, there is more than one reason the 686 costs more.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I used to own a 686 and a model 19, both were great revolvers. I currently have a stainless GP-100 4inch.It is built like a tank and shoots great

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive got to give the nod to the 686.

There seem to be a bunch of police trade in 686s and 586s lately. The prices on the trade ins should be more in line with the Taurus. Politics of the S&W boycott aside, the used ones always seem nicer and smoother than the new ones anyway.

I picked mine up for a little over $300. The gun is my absolute favorite bowling pin gun and has one of the smoothest actions Ive ever felt. Most of the ones Ive handled are similar or better. Inexpensive enough to buy two of them and have one sent off and converted to a full moonclip 9X23 while keeping the other in .357.

The Taurus is a gun good gun. The Ruger is also nice but, of the three Id always choose a 686.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I cant state that the GP 100 is built like a tank. Mine shot 50 round that blew up a Smith large frame. It may not have the trigger of a Smith but it's got the longevity! JMO Max

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've owned both.

Although the Taurus was a fine gun, it had too many rough edges when compared to the fine smoothing of the 686.

Surprisingly, the Taurus held groups as tightly as the 686 did, so accuracy was never in question. As we all do at some time or another, I sold them, hoping to find something better. I tried a Colt King Cobra and it was a poor remake of the Colt Trooper of a bygone era. Which is the only .357 I now own.

Can't speak on the GP-100, although I have owned two Security Six's through the years. They were all the gun the 686 was. I have fired the GP-100, and see it as quite viable.

Isn't it great to have so many excellent choices?

My recommendation? Go 686. Go stainless if you can. My 686 had a trigger that my Colt dreams of.

You may never need another .357.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Although we might disagree with some of S&W's political moves, made by their management, their employees still make some of the best revolvers in the world. Buy the 686.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yes; S&W is now back in American hands. I understand some of The Agreement has already been deep-sixed. Perhaps more will follow.

I was a confirmed wheelgun man for over 30 years. It was only some six months ago that I bought my first 1911-pattern handgun. Previously, I bought Smith & Wesson when I was after DA and Ruger for SA.

I still own a couple of Smiths that are over 30 years old, and I'm still waiting for my first failure or problem of any kind with either of them. That doesn't necessarily mean they are better than some other products, but it sure doesn't mean they are worse!

I envy you the chore of choosing.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
155 Posts
But a pre-sellout 686. As most have already stated, the trigger is sweeeeet. S&W is currently US owned but are still abiding by the Klinton agreement.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Ruger GP-100 is indeed a "tank." I own one and it is indestructable. That's why I bought it. However, S&W probably makes the best wheelguns around in my opinion, and I'd opt for the 686 unless I planned to really abuse it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my 686. I've never owned a Taurus.

The sweetest .357 I've ever owned was a 681 with trigger work. It had a fixed rear sight, 4 inch barrel and accurate.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd go with the 686. I picked up a used 6" in great shape about a year ago for around $350. I've not owned a Taurus in more than thirty years, so I'm not really qualifed to comment on them.-TR

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the reply's. I ended up getting the 686. One reason was the Trigger was so smooth compaired to the others and since this is my first revolver I wanted a nice one that did not need any trigger work.. All I own are semiautos..

Thanks again

------------------
shooter.batcave.net

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll have to cast my vote for my Python. I use a model 10 at work and although it is a tough gun..my Python has twice the trigger.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Here's another vote for a presellout 686 or even a nice stainless Ruger Security Six would make a fine choice.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
11 Posts
Striker - although I do believe your Python is a nice gun. I hardly believe comparing the Model 10's we use, to a 686 is fair.

Those model 10's have been used & abused for years and years.
Comparing it to a well taken care of 686 is an injustice.

We will see how your Python stacks up against my 686 when we hit the range.

Pitbull

1 - 20 of 31 Posts