1911Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a S&W Model 586, which is the blued version of the 686. I had trigger work done, and absolutely love it. It is the handgun I shoot best with. For the money, it is a much better buy than the Colt Python, which is also an outstanding revolver.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If it is primarily for range use, and you want value for money, look around for a used 4" S&W model 28.

I have seen them at shows for $250, still tight, and in excellent overall condition. They are built on the "N" frame - hence on the heavy side, and will tame the heaviest .357 loads.

But they are very well put together, and a very tough revolver that'll last and last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Pitbull:
Striker - although I do believe your Python is a nice gun. I hardly believe comparing the Model 10's we use, to a 686 is fair.

Those model 10's have been used & abused for years and years.
Comparing it to a well taken care of 686 is an injustice.

We will see how your Python stacks up against my 686 when we hit the range.

Pitbull
Can't wait. Who's going to shoot for you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
For pure shooting pleasure go with one of the N-frames (27 or 28). Both of my m-28's are 4". Would like to add a 5" m-27 to the collection. The 586 or 686 are fine pistols, just prefer the older ones.

------------------

A

·
0 Posts
GP-100, But what do I know I like the Python and King Cobra too.

The GP-100 "is" built like a tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are these your only choices? Only interested in a new gun? My first choice in a .357 is a toss-up between the Colt Python and the M27 S&W. Prices have risen lately, but if you look you can find. Just bought 8&3/8 M27 in presentation box from dealer for $315 and 4" nickel Python from individual at a gun show for $500. Both are about 99%. I think I paid a bit too much for the Colt but I wanted it.

In my opinion either the M27 or the Python is twice the gun when compared to either of your specified choices.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My opinion may not matter much, but a Ruger GP100 has been my longtime friend...with Pachmayrs on it...oh my does this gun shoot well. The full lug version in a 4" stainless...yummy

21 - 31 of 31 Posts