1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious, which ones are most like the FMJ in shape, cause they are most likely to function right in a pre-war or GI Colt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by ArmdLbrl:
I am curious, which ones are most like the FMJ in shape, cause they are most likely to function right in a pre-war or GI Colt.
Don't the ammo manufacturers have images of their cartridges on their respective web sites? I know Federal and Winchester do.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Seems to me that Winchester "white box" 230-grain JHP ammo, Remington Golden Saber bullets, and Winchester Silvertip ammo all have what you could call a "truncated profile" that is the same as the profile of a ball round ... except the top of the curve is shaved off flat.

Incidently, all these have worked fine for me.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my opinion, Federal 230 gr Hydroshocks have a profile that closely matches the shape of GI FMJ.

Using McCormick mags this ammo consistently feeds in my 1911 which was manufactured in 1913 and is stock.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
fightforyourrights, that was just a little bit too easy, wasn't it? Actually, I would say that EFMJ more closely resemble the shape of Hydrashoks than of just plain ball. I am curious to see how EFMJ turns out as far as use and performance. It seems to be a good choice for guns and locations (New Jersey) that don't like hollowpoint ammo.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Watch those Speer 200gr 'flying ashtrays'!These are the round to prove a superior throat job.If your piece will feed these things,you can pretty much bet it'll feed empty cases.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Watch those Speer 200gr 'flying ashtrays'!These are the round to prove a superior throat job.If your piece will feed these things,you can pretty much bet it'll feed empty cases.I prefer 230 Hydra shocks personally.They feed reliably for me,and are still one of the best rounds last I knew.

OOPS,delete the last post.

[This message has been edited by rex (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts