1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I think I'm ready to take the plunge and get an M1A Scout shorty...I'm interested in an ACOG or Reflex scope but there are so many out there and I don't know which one to get. They're expensive, too. Ouch.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I'm not sure there are any ACOG's that have the extended eye relief needed for "scout" mounting. I would go with either a Leupold scout scope or an Aimpoint M2/ML2.

Rosco

·
Registered
27,686 Posts
I would go with the factory iron sights although I am a crusty old bastard. Nothing to break, nothing to fog up and they are still pretty fast yet accurate enough for the reach out and touch shots.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am with BillD. Stick with the iron sights, less to go wrong.
Also, I had a Trijicon Reflex sight. It was a piece of crap. It would not stay zeroed more than 100 rounds. That was mounted on an AR-15. I have talked with a few people with similar problems from their Trijicon scopes. I believe what Trijicon sells to the military is a much better made product than what is sold on the open market. The 5th SFG guys and some other military guys I know have not had this problem.
As far as the battery powered scopes. Do you really want to trust your life to a battery that will probably crap out when it gets to hot or cold?
Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Excellent points on using the issue iron sights (which are superb on the M1A). However, an optic can be helpful. The issue of fragility is best addressed by mounting the optic with a "quick-detachable" system (the A.R.M.S. throw-lever QD rings are very good).

Most users seem to think of QD setups as being "quick detachable" and "quick attachable" and thus tend to focus on things like the system's return-to-zero capability. I tend to view these set-ups as "quick-jettisonable". They allow the user to ditch a fogged, muddied, or smashed optic quicker than it takes to tell it.

The battery issue seems to have been resolved with the newest generation Aimpoints. As no less authority than the very authoritative Pat Rogers points out, there are batteries in your vehicle, your wristwatch, your GPS, et cetera. Don't get battery-phobia about the ones in your sight.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 09-13-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts