1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
white tail deer,in east texas.i want to bring my shotgun, but am getting mixed opinions from friends/police/old timer hunters,should i use slugs(if so ,which brand/type is best),and if i use buckshot, which brand and which type? thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What kind of shotgun will you be using? A smooth-bore or a dedicated rifled, slug barrel? I would immagine your using a smooth bore if your considering buckshot. I hear that Hevi-Shot from remington makes or soon will, a nice buckshot load.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Use the Coppersolid sabot slugs by Remington. They have the new high velocity 385 gr version and the 1 oz 50 caliber diameter version. I have killed over 30 deer with the 1 oz version with ranges from 10 yards to 130 yards. Of the 30 deer shot no deer hit in the chest took ONE step. The single shot dropped the deer in their tracks even at over 100 yards. I even shot one deer in the rear that was facing away from me(no other angle was possible). That deer went 30 yards before dropping dead. The slug penetrated almost the full length of the deer.

The Coppersolid slugs open on impact and almost double in diameter. The older 1 oz version use to have petals that would seperate from the main body and they did some serious damage. The inside of the body cavity would look like jello after being hit. I wish Remington would have not redesigned those. Below are some pics of my slug gun along with some groups I shot. They are both under 1" at 100 yards. Super accurate, but just watch out when you pull the trigger because the slugs cost over $2.00 a shot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
defender45 said:
thanks. my shotgun is the tactical version of the remington 870 express magnum.ive heard of using the sabots,but will they be acurate enough in my shotty?, thanks again guys.
The sabots have to be used with a fully rifled barrel. If you have a smooth bore you must use buckshot or the rifled slugs with an improved cylinder choke.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Slugs, Sabots and Chokes

If you have a smooth bore (I think your last post said you do) get "rifled slugs". The projectiles themselves have vanes molded into them which help stabilize it's flight. Kinda like the fins on a rocket. For a rifled bore, use sabot rounds. These are undersize projectiles surrounded by a plastic cup called a sabot that falls away when it exits the bore. The smaller, faster, under caliber slug takes advantage of your shotties rifled barrel by giving you better accuracy and range over smoothbores. Don't assume that your shotgun will pattern best with a specific choke. While it's a good bet the full choke tube will be useless, try out your improved (marked I.C. or Imp Cyl) and modified (M. or Mod) as well as a cylinder bore if you've got one. Avoid buckshot unless you are required to use it as it is pretty innefficient. The smaller pellets (smaller than a slug) lose energy and velocity faster, limiting your range more than a slug will.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Brenneke Light Magnum or KO slugs have deemed the most accurate out of my old smooth bore Rem. 1100 slug gun and Ithaca M37 deerslayer. My nephew used the same medicine to take his first buck with an old Ithaca M66 Buckbuster. For rifled slug guns I use a T/C Encore in 20ga. with Federal Barnes Expander Sabots, a real tack driver at 100 yds. 00 buck is a good choice in modified chokes from my experience, but limited to 45-50 yd. shots, it proved to be good deer/hog medicine in dense palmetto brush in areas of Florida I hunted like Jumper Creek and Green Swamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.