Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the scenario:

You are sent on a covert mission, with very harsh surroundings ( i.e. dust, rain, plenty of BGs
) which will require you to pick a no-frills battle rifle and sidearm. Which 2 would you pick?

Me = A Wilson M4-T Tactical Carbine in Armor-Tuff and a blued full-house BCP 1911...

------------------
"That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad"

- Robert Browning -

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, meant to post this on "General Discussion", Moderators please move. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
A Glock in 9/45

An AK in 7.62

What they have in common?

NATO specs. Loose tolerances. Damn near maintenance free for extended ops. Completely reliable out of the box.

Just my findings..

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
An AK in 7.62X39 is a NATO caliber?

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well, some Nato weapons are 7.62mm. The Germans and British use it and some if not all the sniper rifles use it...

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Glock_Racer,

Moving this thread to General Discussion, per your stated wishes.

My choice(s) downrange in a perfect world? A National Match M-14, and a Wilson 1911.

Chuck

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
Originally posted by ZekeLuvs1911:
Well, some Nato weapons are 7.62mm. The Germans and British use it and some if not all the sniper rifles use it...
You mean the 7.62X51mm, not the old Soviet 7.62X39mm of the AKs.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
LW,

As usual, you're right on the money -- the NATO standard is 7.62 x 51mm -- BUT, you didn't share your personal preferences on the topic with us. How about it?

Chuck

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
StormMaster...

I'd be most pleased with the AH-64D with an up and running MMW radar and 16 HF missles and about 600 rounds of 30mm. I wouldn't even mind one of my old A models...

Barring that, my old M-4 gave excellent service. Both my Springer Pro Model and my LB Custom (both tuned by Nastoff) have been 100% reliable, so either of those would work as my sidearm.

I've lately been looking hard at a DSA carbine, in the 7.62x51, but have zero experience with it. But I do like that caliber!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
... AH-64D with an up and running MMW radar...
A '64/Longbow that actually works as advertised? Never heard of such a thing.

... my old M-4 gave excellent service.
Concur. I carried/jumped one during my 82d days, and it is definitely a winner. I've always liked the 7.62mm, but if I knew that I would have to lug the launcher around very much, I would opt for an M4. No question about it.

I've lately been looking hard at a DSA carbine.
At the risk of this turning into one of those "me too" posts, I too have a more-than-casual interest in these FN clones. From what I've seen in print, it looks like DSA has really raised the bar quality-wise. Anyone have first-hand experience with them?

Thanks LW!

Chuck

·
Registered
674 Posts
My original choice would have been an DSA FAL and a Beretta 92F. But since you specifed it is a covert op I wouldn't want any US markings on my gear should the op fail.

So I would pick an AK47 and an import CZ75.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My buddy has a 16" bbl DS Arms FAL. He got the weaver rail dust cover and put the new .308 ACOG on it. Dialing it in from a bench at 50 yds.. it will put rounds thru the same hole. Shooting off hand from 50 to 100 yds.. you can pretty much guarantee center mass hits if the shooter does their part. It likes 147 gr Winchester the best of the ammo we have tried thru it, and haven`t had a problem with it yet(not counting the tightening screws coming loose on the dustcover and shots going all over the place). From what I have seen of their rifles lately... you wouldn`t do too bad arming yourself with one.

As for the covert ops mission..I know you mentioned it`s dusty, wet and such.. but what type of mission are you talking about? HRT, recon, ect... If you are on a covert mission I would think you wouldn`t want to have anything that would be noticed, no? Give me a better idea of what I`m doing and I`ll tell ya what I`ll pick.

CS#158

·
Registered
423 Posts
a 1911 .45acp, and some sort of pigmeat launcher, since to them hog is same as poison. bbbwwwaaahhhaaahhhaaa!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
It depends on the country I'd be going into. What ammo does the military in this country use? That is what I would want so replenishment would be possible.

If they use 5.56x45 and 9mm, then I would take a M16 and a M9.

------------------
Matthew 24:6
"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things MUST take place...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
An M-14 and a 1911.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Winchester M1 Garand (.30-06)and a Colt 1911A-1 (.45ACP). NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
Covert operation? Whatever the locals carry. If I'm headed into a place where AK-47s are as common as bread, that's what I'd use.

However, if it's a quick snatch-n'-grab operation then an M4 and an M1911A1.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm, COVERT mission in a hostile land. That means avoid detection, move fast, carefully, and silent, and at night. Pack light. Any "encounters" will be up avoided, or if necessary, medium range to up close and personal. In these conditions, the range of a .308 semiauto isn't as necessary, and my vote goes to the M4 for lighter weight, higher round count for the same ammo weight, and ability to take accessories. Therefore, M4 with Comp M/XD, gemtech or knight's suppressed M9, Cold Steel Recon Tanto, NVG's, Danners, Thorlo socks, camelback, and GPS.

SF

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.