1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first 1911, a R1S. I want to add a Wilson trigger and thumb safety, to hopefully take up some of the slop in the trigger and have a larger safety, and then add a BTGS to get a higher grip on the gun.

I'm not ready to grind on the frame just yet, so I'm looking at the Wilson "drop in". I know it may have unsightly gaps, but I've seen pictures of them with pretty small gaps.

My question is, is there any knowledge of the Commander style drop in working with the R1? I've seen someone write that they thought the tangs were similar to the commander, but I have yet to see hard proof.

Another question, I know these parts require some fitting, and installing certain parts may require additional fitting of other parts, so is there a certain order that I should install parts?

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I don't think you'll gain a higher grip with the use of a drop in grip safety ?

Brownells has a very good return policy , buy both and return the one you don't need.

·
Premium Member
8,372 Posts
I shot one pistol with the Wilson drop-in grip safety. It did pinch my hand some. In fairness, the installer did not blend the gs to the pistol.

My solution is to shape an A1 gs to the early 1911 spur grip safety and blend it to the frame. You'll get a higher hold on the pistol and the pistol will point better...at least for me it does. You may want to bob the hammer if you use a thumb over safety hold to avoid hammer bite. Using the beavertail safety, bobbing the stock hammer or a hammer replacement would have been needed anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts