1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering which cast bullet brand have you had good luck with? I am looking for a 200 gr. SWC cast bullet. Several month ago, I purchased 500 cast bullets (unknown no-name brand) from the local gun store. I was not happy with the results. Which brand do you prefer??

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've never had too many problems with the different brands of cast bullets I've tried. I like them to be consistent in weight and shape with few reject looking bullets per box. The thing I really like is lube that stays in the lube groove and is not so sticky at room temperature that it sticks all over everything.

What was wrong with the box you tried and didn't like?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lead used in the bullet must have been soft, because it leaded the barrel pretty bad. I did hear the lazer cast product does not lead the bore which sounds good to me.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
All lead bullets will lead the barrel at some velocity. How much depends on how soft the lead is, how rough your barrel is and how fast you push the bullet. Fire a mag of hardball at the end of your range sessions, Viola- no more lead!

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
558 Posts
Joe, The best I have found are E&E hard cast bullets, the worst I have used are from Georgia Arms.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have shot many Laser cast bullets. They are very good bullets. I also like Berry's plated bullets. They don't get your dies greasy. Both are nice bullets

·
Registered
130 Posts
western nevada bullet co.in carson city nv makes a great line bullets at a reasonable price..have shot maybe 20k+ of their slugs with very good results...

------------------

·
Registered
850 Posts
I also use E&E Cast bullets in the 200 Gn. Semi Wadcutter Hensley and Gibb configuration. Great bullet and great price.

Wilson Combat recommends them.

You can get them from Powder Valley which also has great prices on powder and primers.

Sorry I don't have their number.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'll second Oregon Trail. I've shot about 15K of them and I like their product.

But as much as I like Oregon Trail, they are not exactly in my back yard. If you are going to shoot a lot, and you want to save some money, find a local caster.

$20/1000 (.45acp/230gr) is shipping charges. Oregon Trail would just as well have you stop by and pick up your bullets - if you happen to be in Baker City, Oregon.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. I am going to give laser-cast bullets a try. I ordered from Oregon Trail some 200 gr. SWC's. $56.85 per thousand, not bad and includes shipping. The local lesser quaility cast bullets is running about $24.00 per 500. So I'll gladly pay extra for a superior product.

[This message has been edited by JoeG (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Another vote for oregon trail. I love the 200 swc bullet. Very accurate, clean, and not too much smoke from the lube. When I shoot lead (which is whenever I'm allowed to) I shoot laser cast.

OTOH the most accurate bullet I've shot is the 200 swc from Speer. Soft lead, goopy smokey lube, and accurate as all get out when loaded in a powder puff bullseye load.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought 500 from MPS (http://mpscompany.com/bullets/) for $15 along with some other types. The first 20 I fired (so far) had NO PROBLEM. No jams, nice holes, etc and for $30/1000 the price is right.

------------------
Dr. Bill

·
Banned
217 Posts
Originally posted by WA2EDN:
I just bought 500 from MPS (http://mpscompany.com/bullets/) for $15 along with some other types. The first 20 I fired (so far) had NO PROBLEM. No jams, nice holes, etc and for $30/1000 the price is right.

What was the shipping charge? That's the major portion of the cost of buying online. They have good prices if they are local to you.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still another vote for laser cast. By far the best that I have used. The other shooters at the club generally agree. I prefer the 200 gr. SWC, but quite a few others use the 185 gr SWC.

·
Registered
582 Posts
LASER CAST is the best I've used. Almost no leading, And very accurate. I shoot the 200gr SWC. I also like the Berry's plated bullets. in 200 SWC

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also vote for Laser Cast 200gr LSWC. I am also getting ready to try their 200gr LRN just because I found some really cheap at a gun show.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would recommend finding someone local. The shipping cost of lead is almost 1/2 the price of the bullets. I do buy my FMJ from Montana Gold but the shipping is included in their attractive price. I used to buy alot of lead at local gun show, then I found MPS 5 miles from my home.

------------------
Dr. Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts