1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I made a BIG mistake by buying a Lee Loadmaster (and by ignoring good advice from this Fourm) - quality is rather low, it does not turn out consistently loaded rounds and I was constantly adjusting it. Last night I had a primer discharge during seating .(scared the confidence right the heck out of me). I now have had enough!

If I'm going to load between 400 - 600 round sessions (45acp), is it worth investing in Dillon 650 w/ the electric case feeder or is the 550 adequate?

Your advice is appreciated (and this time will be followed!).

Thanks,

Roger D

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've got both a 650 and an old 450(thats a 550 without the interchangeable tool heads). If you can afford it get the 650, its faster, easier to use and I like the priming system better, however, it a pain to change primer size compaired to the 450, and conversion kit are twice as much as the 550. Also because of the auto indexing, if you make a mistake, you gotta stay on top of it.Having said all of that, both machines will serve you well and you won't be disappointed.

[This message has been edited by supercomp (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well my 650 with casefeeder should be he tomorrow or Thursday. I load both 45 ACP and 9mm and shoot about 750 to 1000 rounds a month. I bit the bullet (sorry) and went for the 650 because I want to be able to load enough in on sitting to last me 6 months or so. I outgrew my single stage a long time ago.

As far as indexing goes you need to be on your toes all the time you are loading with or with out it. What happens if you are indexing manually and you aren't paying attention - you can miss or double charge. Pay attention!

I have a nephew who has the 650 with case feeder and a Square Deal he swears by them both.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the 550B and the Square Deal. If you are going to use it for only one caliber the Square Deal works great. Because of auto-indexing, I don't see much difference in speed between it and the 550B. Either will easily knock out 500-600 rounds in a session. I don't have any experience with the 650.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a 550 and sold it to buy a 650. The Case Feeder is worth the extra cost by a factor of 10. Converting from 9mm to 45 takes about 15 - 20 minutes only because I also clean at the same time I convert. This is a "Production" machine, and if you use it as such you will be very pleased with it. It is not the most efficient equipment to produce 10 round each with 10 different powders with 10 different bullets. Develop your favorite load, spend two to three hours on it during the week and you can shoot all weekend. Less time at the bench, more time on the range.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Fwiw, I would start with the 550. It's easier to setup, easier to control, and cheaper all around. You can still load hundreds of rounds per hour on a 550, and you will never regret having it, even if you end up getting something else later on.

Case in point, I've had a 550B for eight years or so, and I actually plan on getting a 650 in the next while, for when I want to load several thousand of the same exact catridge really, really fast.
But I'm only *supplementing*, not replacing, my 550B.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't overlook the SDB For loadin one caliber ,it's hard to beat

·
Registered
48 Posts
Roger D

I waited and saved for a long time to buy a XL-650. Boy, am I glad I did. I plodded along on my LYMAN T-MAG until I saved enough for the Dillon. I have the 650 with all the bells and whistles. It sure does crank out some ACP 45 fast. The scary part is the accuracy of it - it is fantastic. My recommendation is to wait and get a Dillon.

Mark

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get a 650 with the case feed option and don't look back.

With the case feeder you'll be able to crank out a lot of ammo in a short period of time.

With my old Lyman single stage press I used to load all weekend for a few hours of shooting. With the 650 I can load enough in a couple of hours to shoot for a month!

Everett

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have both a 650 & 550 and have been loading for more than 15 years and like both machines very much.

IMO if you are new to reloading you will learn more about reloading using the 550. The 650 is a great machine but it is a little temperamental.

------------------
LOVE THEM 1911s

[This message has been edited by 38 Super Man (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Loading only one caliber? The choice is crystal clear - go with the Dillon Square Deal B. Please, someone explain why this is not the most logical choice.

[This message has been edited by gunny (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by gunny:
Loading only one caliber? The choice is crystal clear - go with the Dillon Square Deal B. Please, someone explain why this is not the most logical choice.
The SDB is a great machine, but the Die's are not Standard sizes, so they can be a little more costly, and the choices limited, it only does Pistol Caliber's.

It is probably easier to have one setup for something like 40, or 45... Reloading 9mm is probably not practical these days, the cost for decent 9mm FMJ is dirt cheap, and IMHO, not worth the hassle.

I have a 550, and while I am setup to load a few different calibers, I will eventually get a 650 for 45, and use the 550 for everything else.

·
Registered
287 Posts
True, the dies are more expensive than standard sized dies. The Square Deal B comes complete with one set of dies already dialed in for a specific caliber for $252.95. The 550 is $325.95 and the 650 is $443.95. If a shooter is only reloading one pistol caliber, how can the SDB be beat?

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
111 Posts
The SDB can be beat if the caliber you're loading for is .40 SW. With my 650 (or the 550 for that matter), you can buy a Lee undersized die and reload with much more confidence (especially with a Glock or with range brass) than with the Dillon die, which does not resize the full case. Also, with the 550/650, you can use the Lee Factory crimp die for finishing without adding a step to the process.

Whether any of this matters to *you* is, of course, the issue. For me, both of these options are necessities.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts