1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a dremel to do some mild fitting of parts. I was looking at a dremel 3000 at home depot which has variable speed. Or is there a better option? The only thing about the 3000 is its kinda big in the hand or are they all like that?

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
I don't know about the 3000, but I'd suggest variable speed and the corded version. I had a rechargeable and ended up throwing it away. Always dead when you need it, then the battery pack corroded. Maybe they're better now with the Lithium-Ion batteries, but the one I had was weak at best. On the other hand, my old corded one has been reliable for many years. I don't use it on guns much, but am planning to cut the elongated dimple for the plunger in a thumb safety using the very small diamond ball. Naturally the safety will be off the gun and clamped securely. I couldn't think of any other tool I have that would do that. This is to get a positive 'click' and snappy action on the up stroke of the safety. It's a replacement and that surface is flat, so the plunger just rides on it and falls off quietly. I'll base the cut on the trail of the plunger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually plan on trimming down an easy loader for a Rem 1100. But it would be nice to have this tool for any project that may come up.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
not an expert or anything

I use rotary tools a fair amount (enough to burnt a couple up) in my various hobbies

I own all the Dremal corded models from the 100 to the 4000 and one 12vt
i have 'em set up for different tasks

the 3000 is one of the top end models of Dremel's line
it'll serve you well

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
A Dremel is a fine tool to have around the house and I would also go with the corded version, variable speed.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
When I saw "dremel" in the title of a Gunsmithing thread, I just had to check it out...

That said, I bought a Blue Hawk from Lowes. Corded, variable speed. One of the more bargain varieties,for sure. The whole kit was on sale dirt cheap, I figured why not. I expected it to be junk but it held up remarkably well. I mean, I've only used it for small jobs on various non-gun projects. I don't know if (and doubt) it would hold up to grinding mortar for an hour. You get what you pay for, that's true in guns and tools. But it's been just fine for a buzz here and there.

This addresses my opinion of one particular unit, and not the suitability of using it for fitting of 1911 parts. :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have had that model for almost 10 years, it has and continues to serve me well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you can swing it, the Foredom is your best bet. I love mine! I use it more for polishing than anything. Way too easy to remove too much material with a rotary tool. Files and stones rule the roost for fitting parts on my bench.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dremel...

The Dremel Tool...
No more dangerous than a gun in trained hands.
Get a corded one with variable speed and a flex-shaft for most of your intricate work.
I almost always have a flex shaft on mine and hang it from the ceiling above the bench on a chain so the height can be easily adjusted.

But it is used more for non-gun jobs and projects than for gunsmith'n. :rock:

·
Registered
486 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts