1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to get some opinions/experiences on different brands and sizes of fiber optic front sights for competition [ipsc/idpa]
Thanks

·
Registered
3,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have a Dawson on one gun and a Brazos on the other. For my eyes I like the Brazos better, but it probably varies from person to person. Both seem really well-made.

Brent

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone tried the Caspian FO? It is a little cheaper and looks like it's a little stronger blade.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
THE EYES HAVE IT

I tried different size 'holes', and ended up with the Caspian .060". Tried green first but recently switched to the red rod; much better.
I am currently using a rear Bomar-based Caspian round ghost-ring rear and it's perfect.
For me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
southern45 said:
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone tried the Caspian FO? It is a little cheaper and looks like it's a little stronger blade.
I use a caspian .075 in my limited setup, A friend has broken 2 of these front sights. Personally I would go with a Dawson or Brazos.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
I have an EGW in my IPSC gun, .100" wide, and like it a lot. For a carry gun, I'd like the fibre to be better-supported; I've ordered a Dawson, for my IDPA/carry gun, as it seems to have the fibre supported over its whole length. I don't know if there is really much of a brightness advantage to leaving the fibre more exposed. I also have Brazos and Caspian sights that I haven't used. They both look like quality pieces.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the input from everyone. Looks like I'm gonna end up flippin' a coin between Brazos and Dawson.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have both Brazos and Dawson .090. Brazos FO is a bit brighter, but breaks more often. The Brazos is easier to mushroom to the size you want, though.

For the differences, my next gun would run a Dawson.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just heard the other day-

when I ordered a new Glock w/ fiber optic sights, that Ernie Langdon (IDPA National Champion) has some new FO sights
he is using that seem to be very durable, more so than most
of the others. I should find out what type they are next
Tuesday or Wednesday. When I do, I'll toss a post back here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts