1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Parkerized Loaded 1911a1 w/night sights. I have only had it 3 months, i carry it every day in a Blade Tech Kydex holster and only have 600-700 rounds through it..my problem is that the finish is worn through in spots on the slide and frame. I want to get in refinished. Which is most durable..Armor-Tuff,Bear coat,Roguard...etc

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
As for finishes...take your pick. None of them will prevent holster wear. Hard chrome may come close but they all will wear eventually. I like Black T myself.

If it bothers you, just have it refinished from time to time. But truth be known, holster wear is a good thing. It means you are out there practicing, hopefully. It all adds character to your individual pistol.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I didn't think SA offered any of their "loaded" series parkerized. Are you sure its not matte blued? I thought my SA was parkerized until I called the factory about a problem I was having with my mag release. While I had the guy on the phone, I asked about the finish wearing thin in some places. He said it was normal for blued finishes to wear like I had described. I told him that mine wasn't blued, it was parkerized. He chuckled and told me that it was matte blue. I felt kinda dumb.

He recommended Breakfree and Remoil wipedowns as the teflon in both of those products soaks into the porus finish and helps preserve.

If you are bent on refinishing the piece, stay away from Wilson's ArmorTuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 2001 Loaded pistols can be had with a parkerized finish. Trust me, you can't mistake blueing for a military manganese phosphate coating. Check their website if you doubt me. By the way, are you the Harry Callahan of Free Republic fame?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They had park in '99 and I think 2000...don't know about the other years...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup it's parkerized..but not very durable..BTW, I guess Kydex is rather hard on finishes..

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want a finish that's going to last being stuffed into and yanked out of a plastic holster, you better get yourself a Stainless Steel pistol.

Just my $0.02

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brushed Chrome will last a very long time before it "wears through" It will show holster wear.... But wearing through? Well now that's another matter.

Bob Cogan - Accurate Plating Weapons - Safety Harbor, Fl.

PigPen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts