1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a new folder soon. But I'm having a hard time deciding which on to get. First, I narrowed it down to a Spyderco, or one of the Cold Steel Voyagers (tanto blade). If I go with the Sypderco, it would either be a Delica or Endura.
If I go with the Cold Steel, should I go for the medium blade (3") or large blade (4"). I want something that is versatile, since I'll be using it for day to day things (cutting boxes and other things), as well as keeping it clipped in my pocket for self defense.
Can't decide between the Sypderco and Cold Steel. I like the look of the Voyager tanto, and hear that knife is strong as hell. What is easier to open quickly...the button tab on the Voyager's blade, or the Spyderco thumb hole?
Also, should I get the 50/50 (half serrated), or the plain edge?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Shamster,

Not to confuse the issue for you, but don't discount CRKT knives as an option. They make some very good knives at a reasonable price. I own their M16-03, a Navajo, and the Bear Claw. Am well satisfied with all. The Navajo is my everyday pocket knife. You can check out their products at www.crkt.com

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I mentioned the CRKT knife I like "over there" as well in your mirror post.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Don't limit Yourself to just one knife.I own and carry many.My everyday knife is a Spyderco endura,full spyderedge.My sometimes carry knives are as follows: CRKT Crawford/Kasper 30% serrated, Benchmade Stryker 910S,or one of several multi-tools.I also have one of each flavor Sprderco made, several Victorinox Swiss Army Knives,several different makes of neck knives and too many more to go into right now, but again My favorite everyday carry is the Endura.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
322 Posts
I personally carry the Benchmade 705SBT. It is the perfect size, and I am sold on their "Axis Lock" design. But both SpyderCo and Cold Steel make fine knives, and since you've already decided that much, I would not try to dissuade you. To answer another of your questions, I would definitely go with partial serrations. I use both parts of my blade all the time, from slicing a tomato with the blade to ripping through some cord with the serrations, I couldn't imagine not having both.

As for length, I prefer the smaller blades around 3". Bigger knives are just to bulky for me to carry every day. And if you fly, I would make an even stronger recommendation that you choose a blade under 3". Although FAA rules state a 4" blade, each airport is free to set stricter standards, and I have been in several where 3" was the cutoff (and yes, I have had them pull out a ruler before--my blade is 2.9"...) Serrations are suppose to be another bad thing. But strangely enough, I have never had a problem with my partial serrations--although I'm sure a fully serrated blade would be a different story.

[This message has been edited by gtf (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
GET BOTH!!!

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out the Kershaw "Ken Onion" series of assisted opening folders.I was a die hard Benchmade fan until I bought an "Onion".My only objection is that they are politically correct with 3.375" blades and I like 4"ers.They are effortless to open and very reasonable in cost.VERY QUICK to open.Timberline also makes an assisted opener and it sucks

·
Registered
29 Posts
now if you want to get a little sneaky &
covert, check out the Microtech LCC D/A. this
is an auto with completely hidden release,
that no one can spot unless you show them or
tell them how to deploy it. also it's double
action, meaning you can open it by using the
thumbstuds also. it's also a very good
tough-enough knife for everyday carry.
just my .02.

------------------
if you can't get it done
with a 1911 GIVE UP!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with "bgenlvtex"'s post. Check out the Kershaw. Knives are very personal. You need to fit it to your hand. With me it was the Kershaw Ken Onion folder.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shamster, you said you narrowed it down to two.Thats EZ. Go with the Cold steel. I have a few of their knives, from the Trail Master,SRK,Master Hunter,Outdoorsman, My everyday carry knife is the Gunsite 4" with
the 50/50 blade. I carry it in a leather buck knife case(I discarded the Buck knife) When Im using it I'll clip it in my pocket for quick access. It's to easy to loose if you clip it to a pocket. With practice you can open the blade lightning fast. Cold steel has the BEST customer service people and a great product. Good luck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Blades near 4" in length are more versatile than blades closer to 3" in length. The longer blades accomodate heavier cutting chores.

My state makes a blade longer than 3" illegal to conceal but I have never heard of this law actually being enforced.

The Voyager and Endura are both excellent. Get one of each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts