1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's personal preference but between the Colt Lightweight Commander and the Kimber Lightweight Compact Stainless, which would you choose? Is the shorter grip really that much easier to conceal? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I'm definitely partial to Commanders -- though the steel Combat Commander would be my first choice. These late model Colts have NEVER been better!

As for concealability, some folks may beg to differ, but the flat profile of the 1911 makes it fairly easy to conceal even a 5" gun. That having been said, logic would dictate that a shorter grip makes things that much easier. I'm not a big guy, and -- as noted above -- I much prefer the Commander for CCW.

Chuck

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the Colt Commander XS and love it. I recently acquired a Defender which is getting more attention than the Commander. My choice for carry would be one of these.

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Colt Concealed Carry Officer's....Commander SS slide on the lightweight Officer's frame. This is the best carry pistol I have ever owned at 28oz.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Jethro Bodine:
I know it's personal preference but between the Colt Lightweight Commander and the Kimber Lightweight Compact Stainless, which would you choose? Is the shorter grip really that much easier to conceal? Thanks.
Well, you are posting on the Colt forum, so I wouldn't expect many votes for Kimber.

I will say that it depends on how you are trying to conceal. IWB and Thunderwear I would say would make a difference. A jacket over a standard belt holster probably wouldn't matter. The butt is the thing that usually causes the printing.

I honestly think you'll get the same basic quality from both Kimber and Colt on their base models. The thing that will differ is the type of features they offer on the gun. I don't like the sights and grip safety on the current XSE models. YMMV.

BTW, everyone here is saying you can go with the Defender (officers frame, 3" barrel). I think that is an excellent CCW gun. Ditto for the Kimber Ultra Carry. Those would be my personal preference for CCW.

But, if I were to go with only your favorites, I would say go for the Kimber Compact because unless you can find a CCO, Colt doesn't currently make an Officers model. The way I carry, it would be harder for me to conceal a full size frame.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you're going for the shorter grip length, I'd say you might as well go with the shorter barrel too. Recoil in the Defender or Ultra models will be comparable if not easier than the Compact.

If shootability is more your cup of tea, than the Commander or Pro model is probably a better bet.

Any of them will do you fine, Colt or Kimber and as was said, it depends on what features you're looking for. Myself, I dislike the grip safety on the XSE and the Kimber's and change them out either way.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Currently I have a Combat Commander and I want a lighter gun for carry. I was only looking at a Kimber Compact because I found a good deal on one. But, after checking into it and getting advice from you guys I've decided to go with the Defender. I really appreciate your help. I guess you all know how hard it is to choose sometimes.
Now, what grain bullet do you recommend for the Defender? I appreciate and obviously value your opinions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
KITT,
It don't get no better!
The 'ultimate' carry gun!
Now just be sure to pack 230gr hollowpoints.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm with Stormaster on the Commader, I just think they are about the best you can get.

I did acquire a Defender several months ago and it is getting the lions share of use these days but the Commander has not been sent to the pasuture just yet.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You will be hard pressed to do any better than a Colt lightweight Commander for everyday carry. The new XS/XSE guns are fabulous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts