1911Forum banner

Which full-size 7 round .45 ACP magazine for carry?

2938 88
Oh, Lord! I know that asking which magazine is akin to asking some very personal questions, but I'm hoping that by limiting the selection I can limit the firestorm. Like most people on this forum, I expect, I've got a drawer full of various mags. Just off the top of my head I know I have CMC 7s and 8s, Metalform 7s (apparently with 8 round tubes because of the 4 witness holes in a line), Remington (Metalform?), and of course many various OEM mags.

I take them all to the range without much regard to which I'm grabbing and don't really have any problems with any of them in any gun.

With the cooler weather, I have decided to start carrying a Commander-sized gun at least part of the time. It occurred to me that I should probably get a few dedicated carry magazines as well. I'll run whatever I get until I'm satisfied that the combo is reliable.

I'm curious as to everyone's choice if you can only choose from the three listed. Feel free to critique my choice of 7 rounds and brands in the comments.

Which full-size 7 round .45 ACP magazine for carry?

• Checkmate

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • CMC Classic

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Wilson 47

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • Tripp 7R-45-RO

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Tripp 7R-45-WG - Ignore 7R-45-RO

Votes: 2 2.6%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

Registered
None of the above. Simply because I have no experience with them. I have a Taurus PT1911 .45 acp, a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and a Browning clone FEG PJK-9HP. For the Browning and FEG I can only use Browning MOE (super expensive) or I choose a Pro-Mag after market that works just fine at half the price.
For my .45 I prefer a FS 8rd magazine. Wilsom Combat, Sig Sauer, even Pro-Mag is a reliable option. It may not seem like much, but 1 round can make a difference. Some people will say an extended mag (10 rds +) would then be a better choice, but I don't like the way they carry. I do have some single stack 10s in an carry pouch, but those are for "reloading", and most likely won't be needed in my everyday environment. 馃槈

Registered
Didn't Wilson buy out CMC? I'm thinking all Wilson mags are really now CMC... could be wrong. I have several CMC mags in .45 and several of their 10 rd 9mm mags too. They're all I buy these days ... they work and that's all I can ask for. I've never had an issue I could blame on a CMC mag.

Registered
Up until a couple of years ago, CMC didn't even offer a full size 7 round mag. They may be great, but that's not the mag CMC made their reputation with, and they don't have a very long track record.

I typically choose between the Wilson 47 (not the 47D, which is a nice mag, but isn't even the best mag in Wilson's line-up) or the CheckMate 7 rounder with wadcutter feed lips and the CheckMate Patented (CMF) follower.

Wilson 47 Wilson Combat 1911 Magazine | 7 Round .45 ACP | Full-Size

CheckMate Check-Mate .45ACP, 7RD, SS, CMF, Removable Base - Full Size 1911 Magazine - Top Gun Supply

Registered
McCormick bought the Devel design from Charles Kelsey's estate when he was killed. Kelsey's original tubes were too hard and cracked, but until that happened they were fine. I was shooting those in the late 70's and on. I went to McCormicks as soon as they became available and used them hard for years, no problems to this day. Wilson bought McCormick, and have several of their 8 round as well, again, no problems.

Registered
FWIW, the Remington/Para mags were made by MecGar. They make very high quality and reasonably priced mags.

Most of my carry mags are older CMC Shooting Stars, along with a few original Pachmayrs, which were made by MecGar (marked Made in Italy)

Premium Member
Didn't Wilson buy out CMC? I'm thinking all Wilson mags are really now CMC... could be wrong. I have several CMC mags in .45 and several of their 10 rd 9mm mags too. They're all I buy these days ... they work and that's all I can ask for. I've never had an issue I could blame on a CMC mag.
Chip McCormick sold out to Wilson in 2018 so he could retire. I guess I made it sound like a hostile takeover which it wasn't. Chip died in 2020.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts