1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and 1911's. I am hoping that some of you can help me with my decision. I am in the market for a full size 1911. I have shot a few of my friends and have decided to buy my own. Here are the ones that I have been drawn to in my initial weedout process: Springfield Loaded, Sig Traditional Reverse 2 Tone, Ruger Talo Nightwatch, and Dan Wesson Heritage. Of these, which one do you feel is the best gun for the money when looking at reliability, durability, and customer service should an issue arise. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Out of the ones you mention....

1) Dan Wesson
2) Springfield

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I own a couple of DW's and used to own a Loaded. DW makes a good accurate pistol. The Loaded I had was just okay. Well made but it was not capable of anything better than 4" groups off a bench at 25 yds. The Loaded is still a good gun......I just can't imagine it being morning accurate than the DW.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
From what you listed: DW, Springer

The obvious omission: COLT the 1911

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Snorkel has it correct. DW first, by far, followed by the Springer.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
While none would be my choice, if I had to choose from your list there is no doubt that the Dan Wesson is the superior gun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dan Wesson Heritage
Not a stainless steel type of guy or I would have bought it. Tight, good sights and a very nice trigger out of the box. Bought a DW Guardian instead. Have since bought a GCNM and a CZ1911a1(made by DW). CZ needs a little trigger work and will be a good gun. Should have just bought a DW Valor w/duty-coat instead of the last two....... :scratch:

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I have assumed you have played with them in gun stores and read through the threads on this and other forums under the specific brands. I own all those brands and none of those models. For example I have a Ruger Night Watch but it is the CMD or 4.25 inch size. Also have SA, DW, and have had 1911 SIGs. Also thinking this is YOUR first 1911.

So my bias with the models you mentioned.
1. Would be the DW. I have looked at those and own a couple older models.
2. Would be the Ruger if you want night sights.
3. Would be the SA as I think the Loaded is overpriced for what you get. The RO is an amazing deal or find a sale on the Loaded.
4. SIG. It is also good it is just I think the others are a bit better, but if you love it.....

I would also really look at the Colt/Talo Wiley Clapp Gov model. I do not have one but do have the Commander size and it is very nice. Also if you see a S&W E Series I would look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all of your replies. I have handled all of my selections, and more, except for the DW. Neither of my local gun stores have any DW in stock. From research I did on this forum I am thinking that the DW is a way to get more quality for just a little more money. Several people have suggested I look at the Colt Wiley Clapp. Neither gun shop has that model either. What about the Colt make it so good? Are the DW and the Colt WC on the level of quality?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The least expensive one and use the $ for ammo. JMHO

·
Registered
395 Posts
If this is your first venture in to the 1911 world, why not get a base model Ruger. It has a reasonable price and can certainly be up graded if you like later on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts