1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is more accurate? a 1" 10 shot group at 25 yards or a 1.5" 5 shot at 50yards?

·
Registered
949 Posts
mitrod3 said:
either sounds good to me, but the longer distances are the harder ones to keep consistant.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:
Isn't that the truth! I'll use ten shot groups to find candidate loads and then verify the best and most consistent with a minimum of a 30 shot group. I may shoot individual 10 shot groups over a common backer to get the aggregate. It is amazing the difference one can see between ten shot groups. To get a consistent 1.5 inch or less at fifty yards is no small accomplishment. IMO test targets merely indicate it happened once. Just my penny and a half…

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way, those groups are based on a review i read for the SW1911 PC for the 1" 10 shot 25yd, and les baers with the 1.5" guarantee

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
They both represent almost exactly the same level of accuracy. Years ago the NRA did a statistical analysis of group sizes and their variations. One thing they found was that a ten shot group averages 1.3 times as large as a five shot group, in the long run. A dependable 1.5" five shot group at 50 yards is therefore comparable to a 1.95" ten shot group at 50 yards. So if the 1" 25 yard shooter held as hard at 50 and shot twice the group size, 2", there is no real difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Other than checking accuracy for handgun hunting, most handgun target shooting is done at 25 yards or less, so why be concerned with accuracy at 50 yards....:scratch:

Of course I'm confined to shooting at a regulated range, and the pistol range is limited to 25 yards, plus the club's bullseye matches are shot at that distance too, so couldn't test my guns at 50 yards if I wanted too......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Tony Mig said:
Other than checking accuracy for handgun hunting, most handgun target shooting is done at 25 yards or less, so why be concerned with accuracy at 50 yards....:scratch:

Of course I'm confined to shooting at a regulated range, and the pistol range is limited to 25 yards, plus the club's bullseye matches are shot at that distance too, so couldn't test my guns at 50 yards if I wanted too......:rolleyes:
Some folks do shoot at fifty yards on a regular basis, even some that don't shoot Bullseye or Free pistol for that matter.
Regards

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tony Mig said:
Just a test of skill really.

If you can get good groups at 50, you'll find getting one at 25 is more consistent, 15 a lot easier, sub 15 a no-brainer even with both eyes closed...er, well, maybe a no-brainer but with only one eye closed.:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.