1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to get some oppinions to try to help me decide on next purchase.I love my govt. size Kimber but sometimes I'd like to have something a little smaller and lighter to tote around.With a baby girl now to care for I have to be abit more on the conservative side so I'm looking for a fairly cheap but reliable weapon.I'm leaning very strongly toward either a kel-tec p-11 or the new model 850 CIA 38. from taurus.I enjoy autos but am wondering if the taurus would be the way to go seeing how it may be a bit more reliable.Anyone have any experiences good or bad with either of these two models?

·
Registered
22 Posts
From what I've read on this Forum about Kimbers I wouldn't think to use one as a carry weapon.for dependability look at the GLOCKS..There are good used ones around, and if you need them upgraded they do that at no-charge..Besides, with a name like yours what else could you carry??

·
Registered
252 Posts
I shoot a P-11 frequently. Have never had any problems with it. It will feed and shoot any ammo type(ball, hp, +P, weak handloads, Glasers, Corbon) and accuracy is good for the size of grip and trigger pull. I carry it using the belt clip and like that feature a lot. I recommend the trigger shoe to lower the perceived trigger pull. 4 Kel-tecs in the family. Very good pistol for the cost. Don't believe all the hype, Glocks will jam, fail to feed,etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I shoot a P-11 frequently. Have never had any problems with it. It will feed and shoot any ammo type(ball, hp, +P, weak handloads, Glasers, Corbon) and accuracy is good for the size of grip and trigger pull. I carry it using the belt clip and like that feature a lot. I recommend the trigger shoe to lower the perceived trigger pull. 4 Kel-tecs in the family. Very good pistol for the cost. Don't believe all the hype, Glocks will jam, fail to feed,etc.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey Doc, what about a Kahr P9. Small, lightweight, OK for +P ammo.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've got Kel-tec's in 9mm an .32. Both very reliable. Sometimes I carry both at the same time. I believe in consistant trigger pull, as in DAO, or SINGLE ACTION for a carry gun. I rule out "tradional double action". The P-11 can be carried safley as paul788 said with a belt clip. I also occasionially carry a Smith mod. 36 or a Ruger SP101. I think you would be well served by the P-11 for the all around price/reliability/capacity quotion. If you go P-11 buy new so it will have upgades current.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wishbone you are right in assuming I have a soft spot for glocks.They are exceptional weapons.I sacrificed two glocks to get my Kimber and all the little accessories I thought I'd need.I miss them but time to move on.In my neck off the woods you'll pay about as much for a good used glock as you wuold a new one.Same goes for the Kahr's or at least the few I've seen in local gun stores.I'm trying to keep it under $300 bucks tax and all.Noticed no oppinions on the taurus.I'm wonderin'if most on this forum haven't got a soft spot for autos.I know I do but I'd like to have one decent revolver.

·
Registered
423 Posts
congratulations on the baby girl!!!! i had 4 of them. why not just keep the kimber??? be suprised at what you can fit into a diaper bag!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no intentions of getting rid of the Kimber,I love it.Just need an additional weapon easier carry in warmer weather or when your just running to the store and you don't feel like strapping on a holster so yopu want something you can just slip into a pocket.Unfortuneately I can't afford to go out right now and buy a $500 dollar gun.If I could I would probably go buy an MK9 Kahr or a G-26 or 27 Glock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doc, for whatever it's worth, I handled one of the Taurus titanium framed .38's some time ago. Ribbed rubber grips and the 6 port barrel porting near the front sight. I was impressed, however, their new model, I think the 850 CIA is like a S&W Centennial but with stainless (blackened) frame. I like the Taurus revolvers, since S&W sold out to the Clintonites some time ago, and I would not have a S&W product now even if someone gave me one.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A friend of mine just got a new Taurus revolver. It is the titanium ported model in .41 Mag. I was very impressed with the quality and feel of this gun. He hasn't shot it very much, but he really likes it. They seem to be very nice guns, especially for the money. There seems to be a lot of bargaining room from the MSRP on Taurus guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts