1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just when i thought i made up my decision,it happened. i was on the HK website checking out the G36K when my dumbass checked out their pistols. there she was,the MARK 23. i read about it before but wasn't payin attention,well,this time i was.
it sounds like a great pistol with 1 inch groups at 25 yards,with most targets one holers. 12 rd. mag cap.,light rail,ambi safety,manual decocker and it can be carried cocked and locked.
it's around the same price as a WC CQB with picatinny rail.
so which one to cop? sorry for all the trouble but i think this is a harder chose to make up. i trust in you guys to help a brother out.
regards,Angel of Death.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I know alot of people that rave about the Wilson CQB and hear people in the special forces saying the Mk23 is a POS.

My vote is for the CQB or any other semicustom 1911.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I know alot of people that rave about the Mk23 and hear people saying the 1911 is a POS.

My vote is for the Mk23.

:)

Actually, I'd reccomend going to a range, and renting one, and see how it feels and performs for you. Good luck!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your gonna get an HK, get a P7 :D !

Seriously, it all boils down to what you like.

Personally, I think the HK's are wonderful weapons, but do not like their triggers , mag releases or safeties (condition 1 is an option, but fairly easy to rock all the way to decock when thumbing it down). Factor in parts variety/availability/cost... easy decision for me; YMMV :).

Now, a Sig 210...

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Saw223 said:
I know alot of people that rave about the Mk23 and hear people saying the 1911 is a POS.

My vote is for the Mk23.
Do you really or are you just being a smartass? Ive read comments from many people in the special operations community who, having had the pistol foisted on them by some design by committee process, feel its a piece of crap and that the grip is the size of a 2x4.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Mk23 is almost bigger than an MP5! It defeats the purpose of a handgun. I have no idea how they shoot, but they're just too huge to be anything other than a curiosity. If I want something that big, I'll get a carbine!

And you'd better have hands the size of Shaquille O'Neal's if you want to shoot one. The grip (as Mus mentioned) is shaped like a 2x4 and the reach to the trigger is just slightly less than the distance between Austin and El Paso.

But I'm sure they're very nice guns. :D

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Since you didn't state what the pistol was going to be used for, I'll assume that it is to be a general purpose weapon. I actually shot one of the HK pistols being tested for SOCOM several years ago at Crane Naval Base in Indiana along with the Colt entry. Both weapons with sound suppressors were awesome, and actually the Colt entry with and without suppressor was much smaller. I have also shot some MK23 commercial versions since that time and they have always been reliable and accurate. I love the controls on the MK23 as it gives you about any option you would want.

Since I digress, I will try to answer your question. The HK is a huge weapon in the MK23 form. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it on the commercial level, other than use it as a conversation piece or strictly as a range piece. I believe HK makes other versions of their 45acp which are just as accurate and much better suited for the commercial market. I owned a Tactical version at one time, that was just as accurate as the Mk23 and much smaller (though not a whole lot), and I believe HK has come out some other models since that time.

I see no drawbacks to the Wilson other than a shortage of good concealment holsters, and with the number of these types of weapons hitting the market, I'm sure the holster makers are sewing like crazy at this time.

If I was on an HK kick, I would look at some other HK 45 models, as the Mk23 is not really practical for much accept what is was supposedly designed for.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It's definitely gigantic.

As for the safety on the HK, you can get a Variant 9 that works more like a 1911 safety. No way to decock by pushing too far.

The triggers are very different.

If someone offered me a great deal on the HK, I'd probably pass. If someone offered me a great deal on the Wilson, I'd be thrilled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well looks like you guys helped me out once more. i have small hands and stubby fingers,so looks like the mk23 is out of the question. i appreciate the help the forum has supplied me once again.regards,Angel of Death.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess I read the title of the thread wrong,I thought it was "which gun to pick apart 2"
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Robert1911 said:
Wow, I wish I had the resources to buy a $2,300 gun when I was 21 years old. Must be nice. :rolleyes:
hahaha no ****... aint that the truth

:biglaugh:

I'm hardpressed these days to justify 500 on a gun, much less 2300.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Angel slow down on all the reading and get out to the gun stores. Nothing will tell you faster than having one in your hands. Then come back with your choices for pros and cons on them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you can handle a USP, you can handle a MK23. At least, the grip.
They don't exaggerate when they say the MK23 is huge... while the grip is more manageable, overall, they are about the size of a Desert Eagle! There's really nothing the MK23 does better than the USP Tactical other than separating the safety from the decocker.
Those 12 round mags, BTW? Can't get em. You'll get kicked off most HK boards just for ASKING about them. Which is one reason I'm no member of any HK boards, that's too uptight for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well my secret for spending over 2 g's on a pistol is a no brainer.
lots of work,lots of saving and absolutely no drugs or alcohol.
i may have an extremely boring life,but at the end of a long boring day of work i comfort myself by looking at my bank book:D .regards,Angel of Death.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I cant imagine spending 2k on a pistol. I would rather have 4 500 doller pistols or 1 pistol and a whole lotta ammo.

Let see, the last 2000 dollers I spent on guns was. Remmington 700 270WSM 400, SA GI 1911, 441, ammo .45 200, range fees 50, Marlin .45-70 400. Marlin .30/30 250. Thats about 2k. Im much happier with those 4 guns that I would be with 1 single pistol. Look around, you might find something else thats a more reasonable price, and remember to look at used guns.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Spending is relative to your wants. I don't have 2 grand in a single handgun, but have several that barely gets any change back from $1k. I have 2 old sxs shotguns, one is $1500 and the other is $1800, that will never see any field work from me.
I can see him wanting to spend that and fully understand why. We all buy what we want and can afford. :cool:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
EvilEmpiresInc said:
I cant imagine spending 2k on a pistol. I would rather have 4 500 doller pistols or 1 pistol and a whole lotta ammo.
Then you are doomed to a life of mediocrity in quantity.
Well, whatever buoys your aquatic conveyance! :D

Originally posted by Robert1911Wow, I wish I had the resources to buy a $2,300 gun when I was 21 years old. Must be nice.
Why, yes, it is quite nice, at that.

TRB
*would rather have four $3000 pistols and a whole lotta ammo*

·
Registered
367 Posts
TRB said:
Why, yes, it is quite nice, at that.

TRB
*would rather have four $3000 pistols and a whole lotta ammo*
Well, this whole thing has gone way "off topic". I wasn't making a statement about spending money on guns, per se. I've spent enough this year to have bought a car. But, I'm 38 years old, have no children, and could have spent twice that if I chose to. Actually, I made the comment because my instinct was that Angel was actually a 14 year old pretending to be a 21 year old, and was wasting our time. I thought that a gentle nudge might make him self-conscious enough to back off. Lesson learned, from now on I'll just leave it alone.

My apologies if I've offended anyone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've owned both the Mark23, Tactical, and currently a CQB.

I have to agree with what everyone else said, it's big!

That didn't really bother me as much as the trigger......it had one of the worst triggers on any auto I have ever shot. I understand that this is a weapon designed for specialized use, not a range gun....just not for me.

I'm sure most HK fans who are familiar with, or own both will tell you that if you want the USP style, get the Tactical. I shot my Tactical more accurate than the 23 (second most accurate gun, next to my CQB! ;)). If I were to buy another HK right now, it would be a P7...but that's a different thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts