1911Forum banner

Which Gunshops Do You Like & Why?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Finney 
#1 ·
Which Gunshops Do You Like & Why?

Howdy:

Just got finished reading the evil twin of this thread. The horror stories made me greatful for the DFW gunshop situation and inspired me to start THIS thread.
--
So...which gunshops/dealers/smiths do you like & why do you like them? Is is selection, service, knowledge, or what? I'm a big believer in word-of-mouth.
--
Note: The other thread covered the "bad" & the "ugly." Lets keep this one focussed on the "good," and leave the personal animosity for another thread.
--
My Top Four in DFW:
1. Lone Star Guns www.lonestarguns.com
Frank & Clyde are top-knotch 'smiths. Both are also knowledgable. Small store with small selection, but they will order what you want. The first place I when I'm itching to buy some iron. Also, they treated my wife with respect and helped to educate her.
--
2. Bullet Trap www.bullettrapinc.com
Good folks, for the most part. Higher turnover in personnell than Lone Star, but most are good, some are exceptionally good in customer service. They have a decent selction of Galco leather & will order whatcha need, no problemo. Treated my wife well every time she's entered the store. Nice, clean indoor range. Generally have an interesting assortment of consignment irons I like to browse in addition to a large selection of new iron.
--
3. Jackson Armory www.jacksonarmory.com
Really cool selection of C&Rs and other used gems. (Don't know what a C&R is? Think: old shooting iron with some history). The owner's son runs a small bookstore inside the shop & was just terrific when he helped out my wife. He didn't know evrything, & even admitted to his lack of omniscience. I had gone in there after mowing the lawn, wearing khaki BDU pants, white t-shirt & work boots. My grungy appearance did not keep them from providing courteous customer service.
--
4. Gunmaster www.gunmasterinc.com
Large selection of shooting irons, 1911 parts, and some C&R rifles. Lotsa reloading equip/supplies. Smith has relatiely fast turn-around. Some of the staff is quite knowledgable.
--
--
I am willing to pay a few $$$ more if the staff is courteous and I can handle the weapon. I HAVE performed detailed price comparisons on some of my pruchases but have never bought from the cheapest source because good customer service and treating my wife with respect is worth more than $50, in my book.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ditto on Lone Star, Bullet Trap and GunMaster. All three have always treated me very well. There was one guy at the Bullet Trap that was somewhat irritating and arrogant but I haven't seen him lately. Others there are great. I didn't know about Jackson Armory either. I'll stop by there sometime.

#4 ·
I like just about any gunshop that treats me with respect, and not just respecting my money.

BUT.... I REALLY like a gun store with a lot of guns to fondle and drool on..

#6 ·
In this area ( far N.E. suburbs of Philadelphia), I have two favorites, in no particular order:

Seneca Arms, in Green Lane, PA on Rt. 29

John, who owns the shop, is friendly, very fair on trades, and has competitive prices. He is very knowledgeable, particularly on rifles.

The Handgunner, in Topton, PA.

They're also very competitive on prices, and are also very fair on trades. The guys who work there are both knowledgeable and courteous. Randy, the owner, is also an excellent pistolsmith.

#7 ·
Whittaker Guns Owensboro Ky,
Large selection handguns, longguns lots of custom stuff, takes all day to look at it all, best prices inthis area.

Cheeks Guns, Gainsville Ky.
Lots of old and oddball stuff along with the new, good trades.

Triple R Gun, Glasgow Ky.
Good selection, mostly new stuff, good indoor range, good trades.

Oliphants Guns Scottsville Ky.
Large selection, good trades, lots of Rem XP 100 parts & Contender parts.

Gamila Shooting Supplies, Gamila Ky.
Large selection of reloading supplies, Large Hunting supplies, good selection of fire arms, will order what you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.