1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any advantages in customizing an older 70 series over a 1991 other than the nicer rollmark?

It seems to me that I've heard that the 70 series required more work to tighten up the accuracy and to metal today is a bit stronger.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Depends upon several factors. Do you already own an older '70 gun? Just "how custom" are you wanting to spend? ;) Exactly what do you want to do with the gun? Can you live with the Series 80 components?

First, collet bushing is a non-issue, as I'd assume the factory bushing would be replaced with either gun. New '70 is a good gun, but a bit pricey for a base unit. NRM S80 guns are delightful as base guns, and the price is right. And yes, the NRM S80 unit is likely a bit tighter out of the box than the old S70 gun, and thus may have a top end fit that is already suitable for your needs. On the other hand, if you already have an older S70 gun, or have found one suitable for use as a builder at a reasonable price, then nothing really wrong with going that route either. Food for thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts