1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out window shopping, and saw two pistols that caught my eye.
One was a Colt Commando in 38 spl. Ecx cond, and looked as if it was fired little. Dont look like it was holstered at all. 2" bbl. Only think I didnt like was the Pachmayer grip. 98% cond on the parkerising.
$275.00

Second one was an older Springfield Armory in 9x19. It had the Pachmayer grip too (Ugh!!) and had adjustable sights installed. I wasnt totally happy with the installation, but it looked like they would be useable for a while. Looks like it was shot little also. 98% on the park job too. $325.00 I think it had a supported bbl.

I would leave the Commando as is, but on the S.A. I would like to put on Novaks, and change it to a 9x23.

I thought both was a good deal.... wish I could purchase both, but I'm getting my wife a Kimber CDP, so cant spend all that $$$ right now.
Eric

Whadda think? Which one would you buy, and why?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well, if it were me...

I'd go for the Colt revolver. Mostly cuz I like them.

Nothing against the Springfield, it's just that a reworked 9X19 in full size wouldn't float my cork.

The tone of your post says you're thinking of buying from the basis of "want" and not "need". I'd go for which ever is the most appealing to you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Put me down for the wheelgun as well. Never been able to chose a bottom feeder over a wheelgun but I've tried to. Tried hard too.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
go springfield.
as you stated, you can shoot as is, and upgrade it over time.
I've never cared for colt wheel guns, even the python holds no appeal to me, it been years since I've even heard about a commando and if I recall correctly it a economy verson of the detective special. now if it were a smith M66, :rock:

M

·
0 Posts
The 9 x19 would be my choice. The price and condition would be tempting.

If the revolver is actually a Commando in original condition $275 would be a good price as currently they bring twice that. Serial Number Range for the Commando's are 1-50617 for production 1942-1943. Not sure what finishes were offered.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd go with the colt. Decent price,small, compact, exc. pocket carry. Possible back-up gun. Always use it later for a trade-in. And if collectable grade, the better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I believe all Commados were parkerized, as they were originally intended for limited military issue during WW2. My uncle paid something like $400.00 for his in mint shape 12 years ago so this appears to be a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Well, if it were me...

jimfox said:

The tone of your post says you're thinking of buying from the basis of "want" and not "need". I'd go for which ever is the most appealing to you.
Yes, I have more guns that I need, but not as many as I want.:D

Thanks for all the input guys, keep em coming, I'm just as confused as ever.:D
Eric

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No help at all....

:D Well you guys were no help at all. I had to buy both.:D
Can anyone give me an idea of a build date?

The SA is serial # NM 76XX

The Commando (at least that's what it says on it) is ser # P 744XX
It has a 2" bbl, ramped front sight, left side of bbl says "COMMANDO SPEC." under it it says "38 SPECIAL CTG."

Other side says "COLTS PT. F.A. MFG CO" Under it "HARTFORD CONN. USA".
The barrel appears to match the parkerize job on the rest, I suspect it came this way.
There are no military markings on it whatsoever.

It does not seem as though it's a Police positive with a Commando bbl. The frame etc has the rough finish under the park job which at least to me says it was never blued.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is this "Commando" maybe the 1980's production, Parkerized version of the Agent/DS - a "D" frame revolver rather than the WWII era Official Police "I" (?) frame?

Well worth $275 either way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations , You should look into that Colt , if it is a 2 inch WII Commando it is becoming very collectable and in good shape is certainly worth more than you paid to a collector.

M

·
0 Posts
COK said:
Congratulations , You should look into that Colt , if it is a 2 inch WII Commando it is becoming very collectable and in good shape is certainly worth more than you paid to a collector.
Are you sure that a 2'' was made during this period?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree that WWII Commando is shown in all the books as both 2" and 4", with the 2" being rare. It is on the Official Police frame.

I think this one is the "D" frame 1980's version. The Police Positive frame.

"The Commando (at least that's what it says on it) is ser # P 744XX "

Two internet sale listings:

"Colt Commando Special, 38 cal; 99% parkerizing, mint bore, mint grips, 2'' barrel, L.N.I.B., Colt Custom Gunshop Gun, Orginal Box with all paperwork, black rubber grips.
s/n: P-643xx " A photograph is shown with the listing.

"MODERN COLT COMMANDO SPECIAL DA REVOLVER. Cal. 38 Spcl. Black oxide finish, resembles a Detective Special with 2" barrel and smooth gold medallion wood grips. Ser. P671xx."

(Sorry, I realized I made a Faux Paux using the sale listings for serial number reference. I hope this fix is OK.)

·
Registered
517 Posts
WWII Commando

http://www.manatarmsbooks.com/pate.html An article on the WWII Commando revolver by Charles Pate.

"The first two-inch barreled Commando, serial number 2878, was shipped to the War Department on December 7, 1942."

"The primary .38 Colt used in World War II, the Commando, was an evolved version of that first martial .38 caliber cartridge revolver. In the years after adoption of the Model 1911 automatic pistol and its updated version, the M1911A1, the U.S. military made periodic small purchases of various Colt revolvers. But WWII purchases were almost exclusively of two models, the Detective Special and the Official Police. The Commando was simply a cheaper version of the Official Police."

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks.
I looked through the blue book the other night after posting and kind of figured as much.

I've been trolling from the puter at work, but I try not to post from there.:D They frown on such things.
Eric

BTW I got it for $250.00, but I have no box or paperwork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts