1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always wondered which of the imitation grips look more like the real thing. I am in the process of trying to find a good pair these for the second time. The first pair I bought from Ajax and they looked like cheap white plastic (no kidding!). Now i am looking at this sites choices. If anyone has any input which manufacturer, brand or TYPE to get please let me know.

http://www.gungrips.net/id172.htm

I am getting these for a black Colt Gunsite CCO.:),,,I know, I know. I should get the real thing. But i am cheap and cannot afford $300. grips. So NO WAY on the real thing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can get real ones for about 200.00 from Nutmeg Sports. I just sold a set on another forum for 100! Keep your eyes open!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The white paper Micarta looks the most real.
Real ivory grows in layers and has a grain.

Paper Micarta is made from layers of pure white high-grade rag paper.
Since it's actually thin layers of paper, it too has a grain that looks very much like ivory.

I've never seen any polymer (call it like it is..PLASTIC) that has an ivory-like grain.
The only down sides I ever found with white paper Micarta is, it's difficult to get it stained to look like aged yellowing ivory, and you get an occasional very tiny bit of a black inclusion from time to time.
This looks like a random very tiny black particle in the Micarta.
Doesn't happen too often, and can be worked out since it's only one layer thick.

I never had any luck getting it to yellow with the usual soaking in strong tea, etc.
However, if left alone it does tend to yellow over time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Micarta is also a much tougher and more durable material. Just like ivory takes years to yellow and "mellow", micarta requires a similar time. I've worked plenty of both and love both materials. The micarta, at least, won't split with drastic humidity change! Real elephant ivory though gets a somewhat sticky feel in sweaty hands. A nice working property! The plastic imitation stuff just looks imitation to me.....

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I had bought a pair of Ajax "plastic" ivory and was not pleased with the looks or the thickness. I just received my Officers thin Micarta ivory grips and am quite pleased with the looks and the feel. Real ivory is beautiful, but too expensive for me and breakable(that would break my heart). For a "user" weapon, I think the micarta is the best

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ivory Grips @ Nutmeg Sports

You can get real ones for about 200.00 from Nutmeg Sports. I just sold a set on another forum for 100! Keep your eyes open!:biglaugh:
I've never done business with Nutmeg Sports but the ivory grips look very nice. Here is a link for those that are interested:

http://www.nutmegsports.com/

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Thats like asking which is more real, silicone or saline!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I'm with BladeandBarrel. Why would you want to put fake grips on a great pistol? Wait another month or two and order the real thing - you'll be glad you did.

George Patton said, "Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse or a tin-horn gambler would carry a pearl-handled pistol." I suspect he's say the same thing about Micarta and Polymer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.