1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When placed in the holster of your average civilian weekend warrior, covered with dust, the occasional rain shower, and fed 150 rounds per week, which of the autoloaders is the more rugged of the two breeds, a solid name brand 1911 or a "modern" SA/DA & DAO pistol (such as the Beretta, HK, Glock, Smith & Wesson, etc)?

For the purposes of this thread, let's define civilian weekend warrior as someone who carries every day, including to the (9-5) office job, on hiking trips, and during the biweekly morning jog, shoots regularly in IDPA and personal protection classes, goes to the outdoor gun club regardless of the weather and is dedicated to keeping firearms clean and in safe working order.

This thread is strictly just for fun, but I am interested to hear real experience and knowledge over rumor and fishing stories.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would tend to think any quality pistol would be equally rugged, unless you are referring to the SMith and Wesson Sigma series. I

now prefer my HK USP 40 or SIG 220 over my 1911's due to the weight factor and DA/SA. I have never been a fan of carrying cocked and locked.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I carry a Glock 19 all the time both while working and off-duty. For me its size and capacity, LEO 15 round mags, is nice and I shoot it well.

Sometimes I do carry a BHP or 5" 1911 but the Glock 19 is my everyday carry weapon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree a bit with angus. With the exception of the SW Sigma any gun from any of the makers you listed should be reliable; although I would be carefull with the Beretta if the gun is going to get very dirty/dusty. Otherwise you shouldn't have a problem. Of course my first choice would be a cocked-&-locked 1911, followed by a Glock. The advantage they give you over a traditional DA is that you only have to master one trigger pull, instead of learning how to transition from a long heavy pull to a shorter lighter pull. That being said, it would be hard to say no to a SIG 220.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Well, this is how these loong threads start out but I just can't resist.

I love my 1911 and carry it for the purpose you state. If you don't love it a little though, I think it could get you in trouble. Like, when you shoot those 150-200 rounds during the week/weekend and decide not to clean it a couple of times and you cruise around in the desert and get rained on and roll in the mud with it a little and still don't clean or inspect it...

I would have to side with the Glock.

Over the USP or the 1911.

And it STILL may not feed round #2 if it is sufficiently gunked up with a coating of mud and debris capping off the scuz from firing maybe 1000 rounds without cleaning or lubing it. But you would be more likely to survive with the Glock treated this way than the 1911.

Folks like me, though will clean it and check it while the other guys are playing nickle-dime poker in the evening after chow, and I KNOW when I pull the trigger it won't dissapoint me.

Stick with the Glock if your life may depend on it but you don't give a hoot though, dude.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have worked the border. Tucson, Sells and Nogales in AZ. Del Paso Norte in TX. I relied and still rely on a Colt Government. I have carried a BHP for ammunition sharing. I used to carry a S&W 357 Magnum in the glovebox for a back up. I have crawled through the washes and been torrentially rained on, rescued idiots who tried to do stupid human tricks in floods, walked levees during floods and generally subjected my Colt to most undignified treatment. It has never failed me. My BHP has been through some of the same treatment. It has never failed me. I have been present when Glocks in 40 S&W have KB'd. They don't work well at all in the desert environment, IMNSHO I will always carry, rely on and have bet my life on a Colt. My old Trooper MKIII is still loaded and in a Sam Brown harness. I have tried most of the techno-modern firearms, Glock, CZ, Springfield, Ruger, S&W and even Kel-Tec; they have all failed at critical moments and become rocks. Colt, Browning and Lugers have been good for me. I even like Polish Radoms. A Colt is what I carry. I do sometimes carry a S&W wheelgun. I am working on grips and sights for my BHP. When a workhorse (mule?) firearm is needed, I reach for my Colt 45 ACP.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Jeez guys, lets bash the Sigma. It's an ok gun. I've never had any problems with mine. But to answer Amadeus' question I would have to side with the H&K USP. Great weapons and built to take the abuse. I've carried mine thru thick and thin and it has never let me down. Glock is a great weapon too, I own a G17, but I still perfer the H&K. If you were wanting a S&W I think a good choice might be a 59 series 9mm. They are built pretty solid and hi-cap mags are only $20(give or take). I own 2 5906 9millies and I use one for IDPA and the other for USPSA. I put approx 1000 rds thru each a month and they are still hummin' along. Beretta's are good weapons but they do not feel right in my hands(small), and hard for me to reach all the levers. I think if you stick with a well proven brand of weapon(ok guys...except the Sigma) that feels comfortable in your strong hand you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have been carrying the USP every day for the last 3 years, so far it,s seen the sub 0 winters we have in michigan, and the heat and dust of the Arizona desert with no problems. I abuse it badly, shoot it (with Wolf ammo!) with out cleaning it after, I only give it an inspection once a week, and give it a light wipeing down. So far no rust, and it is as accurate as the day I bought it. Granted I use a lot of my own reloads but I have cycled close to 10,000 rounds since new and it is still in great shape, feeds any ammo, with no complaints, othor than the stock sights, which I replaced with some tricon's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I attended LFI I last October in Michigan with a freshly re-worked C&S Kimber. We were shooting outside and it was raining, windy and 40 degrees. Brrrrr. 500 rounds in two days of this rainy and cold weather and the gun never choked once. I'm not sure I could ask any more of a handgun than that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts