1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you carrying a S&W J-frame everyday, which model do you actually carry and with what holster?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I rotate carry guns, but when I carry a J-frame it is a 442 with Crimson Trace laser grips in an Alabama holster pocket holster.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Funny you should ask, I just rotated today to my M-36. Told the wife I was going Old School today. It’s been quite some time since I carried a revolver...LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also rotate my CCWs, but occasionally carry a S&W Performance Center 642 SKU: 10186. It's almost always in a size 3 Elite Pocket Holster from Elite Survival Systems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Model 442. No holster, as one is not needed when I carry it in my front pants pocket. The internal hammer assures a clean draw every time.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A S&W 637 in a generic pocket holster. I bobbed the hammer on the 637 so no snags on drawing it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
After I initially got my CCW permit, the first gun I carried was a S&W Model 642. I carried it in a pocket holster in my right rear pocket. Four years later when I renewed my permit, I had become more tolerant of heavier, bigger guns and carried a S&W 3913, OWB. I carried that for 5 more years. Years later, now, I routinely carry a Sig 220, 45 ACP or a full sized 1911, 45 ACP, OWB. In my old age I've only become more tolerant of one thing: larger, heavier handguns on my belt.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of the J-Frame, but do occasionally tote one when I can't contrive to carry something larger, or on the infrequent occasions a back-up seems expedient.

This mid-1980s Smith & Wesson Model 649 .38 Special suits me best. I prefer the weight of all-steel construction and the no-snag configuration of the old Bodyguard design gives the best of both worlds, single-action and double-action trigger capabilities.

·
Banned
725 Posts
just got back from the range to try a Sig p229 40 cal that I acquired and have never shot. OK shooting gun , very controllable. While there I decided I better try my 60, that I haven't shot since it came back from S&W some time ago. What a BEAST! shooting my carry rounds Remington 125 semi-jacketed hollow points, the old original full power loads. PUNISHING!

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
Those things are just too small for me to use effectively. I prefer other options.
It takes some practice to shoot them. And the really lightweight ones are not that fun to shoot because the recoil is so snappy.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
these ways and with an ankle holster but no pic. Also have a 340PD no lock I haven’t put into service yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
S&W stainless/lightweight 642 in a Stoner Leather Pocket holster carried in strong side front pocket. The holster isn't necessary to facilitate a quick draw, but it does keep the butt positioned for a quick draw. The primary reason I use a pocket holster is as an added safety since the trigger is covered by the holster. Carry 125 grain hollowpoint +P+ loads.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
In rotation is a 1964 M36 with Pachmayr Boot grips in a Safariland holster.

The boot grips do tend to help manage recoil.

I carry 125 Grain JHP Win Ranger and never feel "under gunned"!

Smiles

1 - 20 of 94 Posts